AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
parasound Halo C1 and Rotel 1068, among others.....do a search and you will find your answers homie!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the follow up. I never seem to have much luck with the search feature. What I am ideally looking for is a pre/pro or reciever with HDMI 1.3 abilities and a built in preview screen. Does that help narrow it down? The Halo has an outbour hdmi switcher but it is 1.2 not 1.3. Any help appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think the built-in screen is on the Rotel 1098...

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgas /forum/post/0

Thanks for the follow up. I never seem to have much luck with the search feature. What I am ideally looking for is a pre/pro or reciever with HDMI 1.3 abilities and a built in preview screen. Does that help narrow it down? The Halo has an outbour hdmi switcher but it is 1.2 not 1.3. Any help appreciated.

Paul

there are only a couple of devices with 1.3 out there....and no, the 1098 or C1 are not 1.3

why do you want 1.3 anyways? it's not needed. See the sticky thread on this very subforum regarding HDMI 1.3

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to read that thread now. It may turn out that the integrated screen is not needed if t he pre/pro/reciever is capalbe of sending the "main" image to a subordinate video output at the same time. Right now my current system does not do hdmi switching so I am routing hdmi direct to pj and not through the pre/pro. What I would like to do is "look" at tivo screen to record etc without having to fire up the pj. Current directv box disables the other outputs when hdmi is connected. I can purcshae an inexpesive tft screen and use the pre/pro to send the image to it from another output I believe. The only thoughts on 1.3 are down the road issues if any. i will read the thread now. Let me know what you think.

paul

·
Registered
210 Posts
Paul,

I don't think that will work. As you said, the other outputs on the tivo are disabled when using HDMI, so you can't pass anything to the TFT from that. And receivers that I am aware of do not downconvert HDMI to composite, s-video, etc.

I am in the same boat . . . I don't like firing up the pj just to check the guide, etc. I also used to output my former non-HD tivo to a second tv in another room via coaxial. Cannot do that any more either.

Ahh, progress.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:

I am going to read that thread now. It may turn out that the integrated screen is not needed if t he pre/pro/reciever is capalbe of sending the "main" image to a subordinate video output at the same time. Right now my current system does not do hdmi switching so I am routing hdmi direct to pj and not through the pre/pro. What I would like to do is "look" at tivo screen to record etc without having to fire up the pj. Current directv box disables the other outputs when hdmi is connected. I can purcshae an inexpesive tft screen and use the pre/pro to send the image to it from another output I believe. The only thoughts on 1.3 are down the road issues if any. i will read the thread now. Let me know what you think.

paul

I hate to say it Paul, but I dont think you will achieve what you want with the TiVo because it disables the other outputs (video), and there are no "downconverting" devices for HDMI to say S-video, etc.

as for your audio, 1.3 will get you nothing. 1.1 or 1.2a will serve your needs perfectly as it can pass multichannel LPCM. And as more and more BR and HDDVD media start to use the advanced content, you will need decoding on the player itself, so again, aside from "deep color" and higher bandwidth, 1.3 doesn't buy you anything.........just another industry way of getting more of your money.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:

rotel has no hdmi so I guess halo then

not quite

the Parasound C1 needs the external HDMI switcher for you to see the screen output....another $1000 or so

...yes, I know. Gotta love the "high end" stuff

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you are not in a big hurry Sherwood Newcastle just announced a new receiver that will have HDMI 1.3 and will decode the new high resolution audio streams for DD TruHD and DTS HD, for about $1,500 MSRP. It should be out by summer I believe, if not sooner. No front display, however, but you can always add a small LCD monitor to one of its video outputs and stick it (the monitor) whever you want.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Quote:

It may turn out that the integrated screen is not needed if t he pre/pro/reciever is capalbe of sending the "main" image to a subordinate video output at the same time.

You can easily do that with the Anthem's pre/pros.

Just use the S-video out of the Anthem D2 or AVM50 (out of the Gennum VXP scaler) to a small LCD screen. Cheaper, and alot more useful. With the menus overlay even with HD resolutions, I can sit and relax and do everything from my sitting place, from my main screen or my small LCD.

I can configure everything without even touching my pre/pro while listening to a movie or HD movie, a DVD-A or a SACD.
And it's HDMI 1.1. Working perfectly with my Blu-ray and my HD-DVD players.

Here's a picture of my small LCD screen.

http://www.digital16-9.com/gfx/photo...2006_16501.jpg

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if I understand you correctly, I can access the output of my Directv hdtivo from its hdmi output to the input of the anthem then "look" at that on a subordinate screen from another "zone" or output from the anthem? Is that correct? What I want to be able to do is program new shows or verify activity on the tivo without sparking up the main front projector.

If this is correct it will save me a ton of money.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.