AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good HT-capable pre/pro (preferably something "budget" -- sub $1000) that will do at least one of the following:

1. Allow the user to "memorize" a couple of preset volume levels that can be triggered by a remote IR code... or

2. Permit the user to specify the startup volume for each specific input -- not for the pre/pro globally. I'm not talking about relative volume adjustments or trim here, but rather that when you switch to input 1, the volume is set automatically to -30 db -- when you switch to input 2, the volume goes to 0 dB -- when you switch to input 3, the volume is set to -40 dB, etc.

Basically, I have one digital source that must use it's own variable digital volume control, so I need that preamp input to be at 0 dB. But the rest of my digital sources will use the pre/pro's own volume control and thus need to default to a more reasonable -35 dB or whatever. And I don't want to accomplish this by means of a remote macro that sends a million vol +/- commands to go to a known ceiling or floor level and then back up or down a certain number of steps :eek:

Can anyone recommend a pre/pro that will do this & isn't several thousand $ or up?

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Or maybe that nobody has information on a unit that fits your needs and price range.

I have an Anthem AVM20 that, when new, was beyond your price range and now is only a bit below your budget. It was and still may be considered to be one of the most tweakable processors available and it does not do what you require.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I believe your looking for a control system FOR a pre/pro, not the pre/pro itself. For example, a Crestron control system could easily do what your asking...and this could be controlled serially for more reliability.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Brent,

although not new and obviously not in production anymore, the CAL SSP2500 does exactly what you want, allowing independant volume levels per input...

Miles

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had a B&K PT5 stereo preamp with the ability to save different settings to memory. You press the preset number that you desire then press enter and the preamp would switch to the input you programmed and set the volume to your

pre-selected level.

The B&K Reference 50 A/V pre/pro has the same feature, though I have no experience with the unit and it's around $2Kus.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yamaha RXV-1500/2500 receiver has these capabilities. You can store up to 6 pre-defined volume settings and recall them using IR commands. You can do this for either the main output or for zone 2 or 3. You can also save up to six system settings and recall those with an IR code. Just use the receiver as a pre-pro or use zone 2. Just put the correct volume command in a macro that selects the appropriate input. I use this feature regularly with a 1400 and a HTM MX-800 remote. Works great.

Go here for the codes and a description of their use

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/r.../remote_IR.htm

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Or maybe that nobody has information on a unit that fits your needs and price range.

I have an Anthem AVM20 that, when new, was beyond your price range and now is only a bit below your budget. It was and still may be considered to be one of the most tweakable processors available and it does not do what you require.
I can adjust the input levels for each source on the AVM30, you can't do that with the 20?

This is essentially the same thing he's asking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.