AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a pre-amp/processor with hdmi inputs to be used with a PS3 as a blu-ray player. I'm a newbie to the use of separates and on a somewhat limited budget. I'm not concerned about video scaling but want to get the most out of the PS3 for lossless audio tracks. I'm currently using an older JVC receiver with preout thru an Outlaw Audio amp and would consider another receiver with pre-out if someone has a good suggestion. I'm new to the forum and learning alot from all the helpful info here. Thanks in advance for help in this area.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Lexicon MC12-HD, Halcro SSP100/80. Those are not for "limited budget"...

Anthem AVM40: HDMI inputs, no scaler

Anthem AVM50 and D2; Gennum VXP scaler and HDMI inputs

On a "limited budget", then the AVM40 would be your best bet if you want a pre/pro. Or you could simply buy a receiver at a much lower price.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
What rev HDMI are the Anthems? 1.1, 1.2(a)? They do accept audio? 8 channels PCM 24/96?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2husky1 /forum/post/0

I'm in the market for a pre-amp/processor with hdmi inputs to be used with a PS3 as a blu-ray player. I'm a newbie to the use of separates and on a somewhat limited budget. I'm not concerned about video scaling but want to get the most out of the PS3 for lossless audio tracks. I'm currently using an older JVC receiver with preout thru an Outlaw Audio amp and would consider another receiver with pre-out if someone has a good suggestion. I'm new to the forum and learning alot from all the helpful info here. Thanks in advance for help in this area.

Perhaps I can help out by actually answering your question.

Emotiva LMC-1 $499.99

It has HDMI 2 in 1 out

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

Quote:
The front of the unit is as beautiful and striking as any home entertainment component has ever been. With our exclusive floating wing face plate design of milled brushed aluminum with cobalt blue illumination, the DMC-1 is as much a conversation piece as it is the hub of the ultimate home entertainment system.

WOW. That thing looks completely RICE. Do those aesthetics appeal to anyone beyond a high-school level? "Conversation piece" is right.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/0

The Emotiva doesn't do audio through HDMI though, does it?

As for looks, nobody beats Rotel, imo.

It doesn't say on the site. The OP might want to email them. Since even some inexpensive receivers do process HDMI audio without mentioning it, I wouldn't automatically assume this unit wouldn't. It's worth checking, though.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/0

Actually the newer and cheaper MMC-1 has built in HDMI ports (2) but it dances around saying anything about HDMI audio . I would say after reading that it doesn't do HDMI audio.

You're probably right. Best choice would probably be a receiver with a full set of pre outs for the Outlaw amp and HDMI audio processing. So:

Marantz 4001

Onkyo 803

These don't have the LFE problem, process HDMI audio, and have the necessary pre outs.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Here's what I'm waiting for:

A pre/pro that has HDMI 1.3, decodes the new DD and DTS formats natively, and does room EQ on all channels (below about 300 Hz). I wonder how long I have to wait for something in the $2k to $5k ballpark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.