AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the OT but I need help. My house is currently getting built now with speaker wires in the walls. The wires were put in today, however, there is a problem. I had the company prewire the house for a 5.1 setup but it seems like the wires are too short. The wire is located maybe 4-5 in off the ground and is roughly 14-16 in. long. My speakers (Aperions) will be sitting on my 30 in. speaker stand. As you can see, the length is too short. My question is if the company decides not to rewire the wires for a greater length, can I solder or attach another piece of wire to extend it? Is that feasable or will it totally ruin the sound? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will just extend it with same gauge wires. Speaker wire are pure electrical conductor that carries higher voltage and current . This is in contrast to other signals such as cable TV signal which is weak and prone to interference and degradation as it past thru wires and connector. As long as all connections are good you can't hear anything different whether it is a single or multiple well connected wires. There are many wires inside your receiver and inside the speakers that are soldered to the terminals for speaker wires attachment.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yup, absolutely no problem. You could even use crimp-style splicers, but soldering is much preferrable if you have an iron (and the ability!) Put heat-shrink tubing over it and you're golden.

If you use similar cable, a solder joint would make an immeasurable difference. This is typically only a concern at much higher frequencies, and it you were trying to splice something like coax, where you'd have to spread the shield to get to the center conductor, which changes its impedance. Not an issue with speaker wire and audio frequencies.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Can you not just terminate the speaker wires in the wall using a jack plate and then run a wire from the plate to the speaker?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Rmcgirr83's idea is a good one, one you should consider. In case anything ever happens to the exposed part of the wire, it would be a simple matter to replace only the portion of the wire from the jack to the speaker rather than replacing the entire length. It will look more professional, too.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I will look into that option as well. There is one problem though.

One thing I did not think about is the placement of the wire. The wire is roughly 4-5 in. off the ground, 2 wires in front (on both ends of TV stand) and 2 wires in back (both ends of couch). The other problem is that the hole in my speaker stands are almost at the base of the stand. WIth the current location of the wire, I would have to run the wire 4-5 in. down the wall into the base of the stand and then run it up the length of the stand. The problem is that the wire will be unsightly given the fact that I would have to run it down the wall 4-5 in. Is there anyway around this? I asked the builder to put the wire as low as possible and this is what I get! Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
You could try cable channels that are sold for hiding network cabling outside of walls. I personally do not think that the wires coming from the termination block would look all that bad. Could even get one of those black spiral wire hider thingies. Cut it to length and it may even come pretty close to matching the stand.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rmc,

Would you happen to have a picture of what the termination block looks like? I have no idea what it is as I am a beginner when it comes to home audio. Also, would I put this block in before the sheetrock gets put in or after? Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh! That looks promising. I suppose I would have to cut the wire and leave it real short and then mount the plate to the wall. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Don't cut it yet, let the sheetrockers do their magic first. Just roll it up and keep it out of the way.

Good luck and take some pics, this is how I did mine and the WAF was very high as opposed to having the wires just hang out of the wall.

Gald to help, I have received a lot of info from this forum and am happy to participate (eventhough I have limited knowledge to this stuff).:p

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rmc,

Can I ask you how high your plate is off the ground? Also, did you go with banana connectors or bare wires? If I go the plate route, it should be about 4-5 in off the ground. I asked the builders to lower the wires on the wall but they said that the base boards are about 3 inches high, so the wires have to be above the boards. I should have just told them to run the wires in the carpet:)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
It is the same height as the regular electrical outlets (like 12" maybe). I have these setup for the rear surrounds and the outdoor speakers (much easier to remember which line goes to which speaker). When no wires are hooked up just looks like a plain 'ole wall plate that something goes into. They are very discreet and definitely give the "professional" look. Much better than having some hole in your wall with wires hanging out.:) Plus there would be enough room in the outlet box for the excess wire to be coiled up, if you wanted.

Actually, I have posts instead of banana plugs that I got at Rat Shack (can't find them now on the website, though). I would think any decent B&M store would have these available, you could probably even see some if the store itself has it hooked up this way.

Some of these plates also have video connections and they can get quite large. I think I remember seeing one with 8 pairs of jacks on it.

As your original post concerned extending the length of a wire lead, I think this is an excellent option and you should consider it. I've got a better idea....ask your wife/significant other which way she would prefer it. At least that way your not "shoveling **** against the tide", if you know what I mean.;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hehe very true. The WAF will have to be taken into consideration. Without it, none of my toys would be possible:) Thanks again Rich. My house should be ready in about 2 months and pics will be taken!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus330I
I should have just told them to run the wires in the carpet:)
You can get flat speaker wire also and put it under the carpet or along the wall (painted the same color, probably not very noticeable if at all). Here is a link:

http://www.electronicsquare.com/titl...00003CWF8.html

Oh, the dilemmas you have to go through.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you do a google search for 'speaker wall plate' you'll find some other options including binding posts. I like the one Rich posted from 123av.com the best, though. I might have to put a few these in my house.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I didnt already spend $500 for the wiring upgrade, I probably would have gone for the flat wire route. Might as well use the wire now since I'm paying for it. Thanks again rich and djs.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I used these

http://www.smarthome.com/images/85591w_xyz2.gif

with these

http://www.smarthome.com/images/8555all.gif

And you get

http://www.smarthome.com/images/8551dgm.gif

Its very clean and high quality as they take the standard big banana plugs.

I also used these with RCA modules for my video cable runs.

Just go to a hardware store and get the cheap metal drywall plate backings. Use them as your template for the cut out. The plates will then just go in and fold up at the top and bottem to secure it. The face plate then screws into it.

The speaker modules are very nice as they just screw into the back of the module. My 12 gauge moster cable wire fits just fine.

All of these are available at your local "chain" hardware store. And to keep it looking nice get the WHITE speaker cable, the round monster cable. Its very clean looking.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Cool! Those are 'keystone ' jacks. I used them for everything but speakers - that's the first time I've seen the binding post version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.