AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is building a new house with an included media room (HT) and asked for my help in selecting equipment locations for pre-wire and naturally I want the help of this forum if you please. The house is being framed and we have about 3 weeks calendar time before dry wall.

The room measures 9'W X 20'L X 9'H with the screen on the 9' wall. Planned seating is for three rows of two seats each with each row rising towards the back. We want to prewire for surround sound, rear projection and front projection but have not selected any equipment as yet. We would like inputs on preferred locations for the projector, distance to screen, speaker locations, lighting and any other suggestions you may have. Thank-you in advance

eljoy

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
eljoy welcome to AVS. www.swhowto.com is helpful for network prewire, but applies to home theater prewire as well. I have mounted projectors on ceilings 10 feet from the screen and also installed projectors in tables the same distance from the screen. Throw distnace "calculators" are found on Barco and other sites that are exact according to diagonal screen measurement and preferred size of image. Projectors have switchable projection alignment for ceiling, or table mount. For a fixed screen having the L,C and Right speakers placed directly behind the screen at the same height and alignment, perhaps towing the mains in at a 45 degree angle is the best for perfect cinematic sound because it creates the perfect panning effect. It you do that placement, however, you need a microperfed screen (try Stewart) If you do not go that route, placing the L,C,R under the screen re-creates the next to perfect cinematic sound and even panning. I would suggest wiring for four surround speakers. Having sound thrown from the sides and back at you is a lot more fun. It is hard to be surrounded by sound with just two speakers. If you go to Dolbys site ( www.dolby.com ) and search "home theater preferred surround speaker placement" they have diagrams on proper placement. (At least three feet above the heads of listeners to avoid too much localizing and placed to the sides, or a foot behind the heads of the listening position/sweet spot). As far as lighting. Try the master, Dennis ( www.designcinema.com ). Ask him for his free white papers on design and planning of home theaters.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, thanks for your response the web links you provided are very helpfull and I am still absorbing the information.

Thank again

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
You are most welcome. I am surprised other gurus have not joined in the thread. Maybe re-post in the home theater general thread after this fades out. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.