AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is currently getting built now with speaker wires in the walls. The wires were put in today, however, there is a problem. I had the company prewire the house for a 5.1 setup but it seems like the wires are too short. The box is located maybe 4-5 in off the ground and is roughly 14-16 in. long. My speaker (Aperions) will be sitting on my 30 in speaker stand. As you can see, the length is too short:( My question is if the company decides not to rewire the wires for a greater length, can I solder or attach another piece of wire to extend it? Is that feasable or will it totally ruin the sound? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The other thing you can do is put a speaker terminal box in the wall where the cables are currently coming out of the wall. Then when you move in, you just hook up the speaker with your speaker wire to the box in the wall. It will make it look really nice and custom. better than soldered wires in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the input guys. Just one more question. Let's say I solder wire and make the wire longer. One thing I did not think about is the placement of the wire. The wire is roughly 4-5 in. off the ground, 2 wires in front (on both ends of TV stand) and 2 wires in back (both ends of couch). The other problem is that the hole in my speaker stands are almost at the base of the stand. WIth the current location of the wire, I would have to run the wire 4-5 in. down the wall into the base of the stand and then run it up the length of the stand. The problem is that the wire will be unsightly given the fact that I would have to run it down the wall 4-5 in. Is there anyway around this? I asked the builder to put the wire as low as possible and this is what I get! Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craustin,

Forgive me but I'm not sure what a speaker terminal box is. This is my 1st home entertainment system and I have much to learn. Could you perhaps provide a picture to a terminal box? Thank you.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
He is talkign about a trim plate liek you wouldl trim a light switch or outlet but fro speakers you use a binding post plate or push terminals liek on the back of cheep receivers.

Also you could use a 1 hole plate used for CATV connections and solder on more wire to reach your speakers. Then cover up the exposed wire running down the wall with plastic molding. I use it al the time in retro fit situations and other events where a speaker wire or other wire will most likely be seen. I just slide the wire in it and use the sticky tape that comes on the back of it to hold it in place.

Check at Home Depot for the stuff in the electrical section.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
How far off the wall are your speakers? If the sheet rock hasn't gone up just relocate the box to 30" off the ground and that will give you two extra feet of wire. Then just use a cable plate. Is there enough to reach your amp?

Whoever did the wiring hasn't got much experience with speaker wiring if they didn't leave a few extra feet on each end of the run. It may look better and be more satisfying too have them rerun the wire even if you have to pay for part of it. It should be easy at this point just tape wire to what is there and it becomes a fish as you pull it out. You can also have them zig/zag it between the studs 5 or 6 time tacking it in place with a light staple that only goes about half way in. Need more wire later? Yank once--16+ extra inches, twice--32+ extra inches, and so forth. I'd do this both from the stereo and to the speakers so you are covered if you change speakers, stereo stand, or make any other changes that might require more wire.

If you care how the wire ends are going to look be sure to cover with plastic bag or something and tape it up. The guys spraying texture and paint could care less about it and are going to spray right over it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tex,

I was thinking about putting the box higher, however, I dont think I want the wire placed that high up. I would have to look at the wire 30in high versus the 4-5in height its at now. Good idea about covering the wire before they spray the texture and paint. There is plenty of wire to reach te amp. I wish that part could have been shorter and the speaker end, longer. I appreciate your input Tex. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.