AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on prewiring a house for HD and other future possibilities? If so please explain and show pictures. I am thinking the regualr coax cable is enough but probably not for the future. I was thinking HDMI but have no idea how this would be when wiring a house as the component with the hdmi out is usually right under or on top of the hdtv.

·
Registered
24 Posts
are you talking the whole house or just the dedicated theater room ?

i am in the process of finishing a room that will be used for a small home theater. and i prewired for a front projector ( since i want one at some point ) I put in HDMI, Component, 15pin ( RGA ? ) ( typical computer monitor conn ) RJ6 (coax) s video, and Cat5. and like 4 Rj6 to outside for digital sat dish connections

i also wired (inwall) for 8.1 surround using 14/4 gauge wires

deff pretty much everything is going digital , such as DVI / HDMI etc so that would be on the want list, along with high quality cat 5 or 6 almost everywhere :) and possibly even some fiber optic. i didnt put that in but i did put a 2" conduit to where projector would mount for future referance :)

hope that gives you somewhat of an idea , but if you could be more specific on what you are wanting to do we'll able to help you out more :)

cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Charles is right on. You need Home Run point for all wiring, which is typically in the same room with the Electric Panel, but no closer than 5'. We use Channel Vision Structured Wiring products. http://www.channelvision.com/

Leviton Integrated Networks has some good reading on Structured Wiring.

Also, if Cable or DSL for high speed internet is not available, suggest 6 - Coax cables from Panel to outdoor enclosure, which is near Electric meter and the location you meet the Telephone company & Cable company. The 2 additional coax cables are needed for Satellite internet. DirecTV takes 4 coaxs, Dish Network 2 coaxs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since long lengths of HDMI cables are outrageously priced, I'd recommend some high quality CAT5e or CAT6 to each location, maybe even a few.

HD video with digital audio can easily be streamed between 2 devices over this simple cable. For example if you have a Media Center Edition PC with a HDTV tuner you can record HDTV.

If you have an X-Box 360 or another PC connected to the same network you will be able to stream the HD recording to the second device over the network no problem.

I would say this is your best bet for low cost flexibility for the future.

Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just moved into the new house we built. I used this stuff:

http://www.smarthome.com/8682.html

It is bundled cable, 2 pieces each of: rg-6 coax, cat 5e twisted pair and fiber optic cable. I am using the coax and cat5e and went with the fiber optic option for future proofing (I expect it will not be used for at least 5 years).

I did a home run layout. Each bedroom got one piece, both my wife's and my office got 2 pieces and the livingroom got 2 as well. All the cables come to one central location in the basement where I installed a media distribution panel. Phone and cable come into this panel and this allows me to control where phone and cable are available.

Once the HT is done and wired into the media panel, I will be able to send AV from the HT to anywhere in the house.

Skipp

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wouldn't waste your $$ and lots of it wiring your entire house with HDMI. I just moved into my house a year ago and did a lot of research on what should be run. I ended up running 2 lines of quad shield RG-6 to every room. I also wired all my phone outlets using CAT5e (if I remember correctly this will support up to 4 lines). I ran CAT6 throughout the house for home networking and I ran a combo cable of Cat5/2pr 16 gauge speaker/RG-59 wire to support whole house audio/video.

One other thing I did was run 4 lines of quad shield RG-6 from my attic where I would mount a satellite (if I ever went this route) down to my home run in my basement.

I also prewired for security camera's in the soffits. This cable was RG-59 with a power lead attached.

I chose not to run any fiber. Everything I ran I home ran down to a central location in the furnace room.

Sounds like a lot but don't be afraid to over wire now cause it will cost you a lot more down the road after the drywall goes up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.