AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: I realize I should have posted this in the Speakers forum. I will re-post it there. I tried to delete this but I wasn't able to.

I'm getting ready to pre-wire for 7.1 surround, and need some advice on speaker placement. The room is 18' wide x 19'6" front to back. I plan on having two rows of seating. The room is open to bar/game/pool table areas on the sides; the side walls only go back about 8' from the front on the right side, about 6' on the left. There is a wall at the back of the room, but the room is a step-down, and the back wall is about 5' behind the step, so it's not really "IN" the room per se. There are four columns at the back of the room (right at the top of the step), two are even with the side walls, the other two are approx 4'-5' from the sides, so about 8'-10' apart. The ceiling is about 8'6" high.

From what I understand about 7.1, (please correct me if I'm wrong) the side surrounds should be about even with the listener, which raises the question, what if I plan on two rows of seating? Also from what I've read, the rear surrounds should be "closely spaced", so I would think the columns would be too far apart. Which probably leaves me with all of my surrounds on the ceiling; I'm sure the side speakers would be beyond the side walls regardless of where I position them relative to the two seating rows. So my questions are...

Where should I position the side speakers relative to the two rows of seating? What is an ideal spacing for the rear surrounds? Is 8-10' too far apart to consider using the columns? Would I want to even consider the columns since I'm almost positive my sides will need to be on the ceiling? Or should I avoid putting any of them on the ceiling if I can? How about the front speakers - how far apart should they be? Would either side be preferable for the subwoofer?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.