AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get all my wires ran prior to drywall and have read I should wire for at least two powered subs as well. What should I run as far as wire is concerned (type) and where are the locations I should be running the wire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Generally you want to run coax (cable TV cable) for powered subs (there is an exception where you run speaker wires in/out of the sub - but that is not a very common method anymore - I would not worry about that). As to the exact cable to run: you can use any of the following (in order of preference) RG6 Quad shield / RG 6 / RG59U. Most likely any of those cable types will be fine. If you are like me and hate terminating coax, go ahead and use factory cables with the F connectors already on the wire. IMOHO RG6 (w/o quad shield) has always worked for me for subs and cable TV, and you can find it pre-made with ends already on cheap. As to where to put the wires - ahh - that is your call. Front room corners are typical spots for sub outlets (lets you hit all the front wall and the front half of the side walls.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I second the use of (RG6 QS) coax for the subs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.