AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before sheetrock, I have the opportunity to add additional wiring to my house.

When it comes to prewiring for video cameras, I'm not sure what to run. I've heard that one RG-6 and one 18/2 for power to each location is good. However, every camera seems to have different requirements. Some get their power through the RG-6 and some even run entirely off of cat-5.

What should I run?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennS
I've heard that one RG-6 and one 18/2 for power to each location is good
This is what I have. Each set runs to a central location where power supply & multi-channel modulator is located.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would use rg59 with a copper shield(along with an 18/2). It produces a better picture for composite video sources such as cameras. About your second inquiry all camera video can be run coax, but not all work realy well on cat 5. Not knowing what type you,ll be using I'd run rg59 w/ an 18/2. If you find an alarm distibutor who installs cameras they have what is called a siamese cable with those wires all in one jacket that makes an easier install.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glenn:

We use RG-6, but you certainly can use RG-59, providing your runs aren't real long. We have run RG-6 in COmmercial warehouses that are 125,000 sq feet. Some of our RG-6 runs are in excess of 400 feet! The pix are beautiful. I don't think the results would be nearly as good with RG-59 (too much loss for those lengths). Homerun all of your cables. As for the power cable, it also depends on the length of the runs. Better safe then sorry. In a normal home, 18/2 is adequate. In a normal home, RG-59 is adequate. I guess we are in to overkill. In the pre-Linda Tripp days, we used to run 16/4 to accomadate audio; but thats now a no no. Funny how times change. Its even funnier how she got off. I guess its the OJ effect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Whatever cable you choose, go with a solid copper center conductor for your surveillance camera applications. Copper shield is preferred but an aluminum shield will work.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would use the 18/2 (power) with the RG-59 (video) copper center for the camera. If you are using a microphone, or want two way audio-Use a run of cat 5 with the the other. wire is cheap now to put in and later the labor is usually too intensive. Adding the cat 5 is cheaper than a pair of baluns too. If you have RG-6, make sure to use the solid copper center like JohnG said. This is intended for baseband video. Have fun and remember to label all the wires.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'd run RG6 + Cat-5. This combo should cover almost all possible scenarios. If it's a standard camera with Coax and power requirements, just use the Cat-5 cable (8 conductors) as your power leads, doubling up on conductors if needed for current capacity. With the leftover conductors in the Cat-5 cable, you could hook up motion detectors at the door as well. And if it's a camera that uses a cat-5 connection or RCA for video/audio, you're covered there as well. You can even add pan/tilt control in the future.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I wasn't sure if you could double up the 24AWG wires in a cat-5 cable to effectively give you a thicker wire, especially since they would only be connected at the ends.

Glenn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.