AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I'm planning on buying a UHF/VHF antenna to put up in the attic. I know I'd get better reception if it were outside, but considering my friend's similar setup, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Here's my setup and my problem:

1) The TV is in the basement, the antenna will be in the attic above the second floor.

2) All coax in the house routes through the garage. Wonderfully, there is already coax going from the attic to the garage, and can be patched from the garage to the basement.

I'm sure I'm going to need a preamp to get the signal from the attic to the basement. However, there are no power outlets in the attic.

So, here's the big question: Instead of putting the preamp with the antenna, could I put it garage? How much of a reduced signal can I expect boosting it halfway down as opposed to boosting it at the source? (I'm guessing it's two 25 foot runs of coax)

Thanks in advance,

S

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The pre-amp needs to be as close to the antenna as possible, the inline power supply that comes with it can go in the garage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Matt is correct. The pre-amp should be as close to the antenna as possible. The power supply of the pre-amp can be elsewhere as long as any splitters are placed after power supply. The pre-amp is powered through the coax cable, not directly connected to an outlet.

Make sure you get a pre-amp rather than a signal booster or distributed amplifier. The latter devices do require power at the site of the amplification.

Walter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you, looks like I can make this work.

My friend with a similar set-up suggested the Winegard AP 8700 Chromstar 2000 Series coupled with the Winegard HD 7080P antenna. Most of the stations I'm wanting are around 20-50 miles away.

S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts