Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

A few months ago I placed my Unity Motion receiver on a power strip so that I could completely shut it off when I wasn't using it (which is 90% of the time) since it has the annoying habit of running the CPU fan when it's turned off! Anyway, as convenience would have it I also have my CM 7775 UHF preamp wallwart plugged into the same power strip (that antenna is only used with the UM). The plus side to flipping the switch which powers them both on and off is that I am reducing my parasitic drain on the electrical grid. However, I am wondering if there is a long term effect on the UM or preamp by doing so? MTBF effects or number of power cycles prior to failure sort of thing. Anyone?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
From long experience with computers I would say that any soldered-in solid-state components are the least likely thing to fail. Although there is mechanical expansion and contraction as they heat and cool, these things are essentially monolithic and very trouble-free - I wouldn't waste any time worrying about them.

Socketed components can be more of a problem, as thermal cycling can cause them to creep their way out of sockets and cause intermittent problems. However the fix is very simple - just apply firm pressure to push them back in again, or remove and re-insert. Modern sockets are designed to combat this problem.

By far the biggest worry is the mechanical components, and in your receiver that probably means the fans. Here, the best advice would be to power on only when necessary as the fan's life is affected mainly by running time and not by start/stop cycles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.