AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hifi audio to ht movies
I just purchased a pair of B&W 702s2 currently being ran via a OPPO 203 playing the preamp duties. Emotiva 2 channel amp for juice, sounds okay but I looking to upgrade for my new basement. I love two channel audio but i'll also need a to run a 5.1.4 system in the same room. My struggle is do I purchase a separate power & preamp amp with ht bypass to integrate into a av receiver ii) do a buy a av receiver for everything iii) or do I buy a preamp processor & separate power

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hifi audio to ht movies
I just purchased a pair of B&W 702s2 currently being ran via a OPPO 203 playing the preamp duties. Emotiva 2 channel amp for juice, sounds okay but I looking to upgrade for my new basement. I love two channel audio but i'll also need a to run a 5.1.4 system in the same room. My struggle is do I purchase a separate power & preamp amp with ht bypass to integrate into a av receiver ii) do a buy a av receiver for everything iii) or do I buy a preamp processor & separate power
What I do-
notice in my signature the equipment I use...my Anthem MRX-720 is set up so that I have a separate input selection setup (speaker profile); when listening to either my turntable or Sonica DAC, I shut off ALL digital processing (just use my 2 Studio 100's, no sub, etc), and use analog inputs. It sounds great and is a pure analog signal going to my speakers.

My theatre setup with the same equipment (MRX-720, Outlaw 5 ch amp, B&K stereo amp, and 2 supplemental channels off the MRX-720), is a 5.2.4 Atmos setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I do-
notice in my signature the equipment I use...my Anthem MRX-720 is set up so that I have a separate input selection setup (speaker profile); when listening to either my turntable or Sonica DAC, I shut off ALL digital processing (just use my 2 Studio 100's, no sub, etc), and use analog inputs. It sounds great and is a pure analog signal going to my speakers.

My theatre setup with the same equipment (MRX-720, Outlaw 5 ch amp, B&K stereo amp, and 2 supplemental channels off the MRX-720), is a 5.2.4 Atmos setup.
hmmm sounds like a great set up post some pics for me to view........I did consider the MRX-720 but didn't like the fact that it only has 5 channels powered.....Was considering the 1120 but wasn't sure if it would be enough power to drive my speakers the way i want.... Whats this Speaker profile you speak of???? isn't there a good dac in the anthem

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
hmmm sounds like a great set up post some pics for me to view........I did consider the MRX-720 but didn't like the fact that it only has 5 channels powered.....Was considering the 1120 but wasn't sure if it would be enough power to drive my speakers the way i want.... Whats this Speaker profile you speak of???? isn't there a good dac in the anthem
I'm extremely happy with my AVM60 pre-pro and 7-channel D-Sonic amp and 4-channel Class D Audio amp. The amps will long outlast all of the silly and ever changing (but necessary) technology that makes all of these devices obsolete before they are even to market. The amps are just amps., and far more so than any amps that will make their way into a typical receiver. Get yourself GOOD amps to fit your desired channel count, they will last a long time, as should your speakers, and just change out your pre-pro as you feel necessary.

DISADVANTAGE - requires multiple devices obviously, so space could be an issue! :eek:

·
Registered
840 Posts
My room is just a normal 12' X 16', 10' ceilings....Atmos speakers are located in front and behind MLP, on the wall, 2 subs on opposite corners of the room, rear surrounds in the rear corners, behind MLP.

Already had the amps, before purchasing the 720; thus, I only use 2 channels from the 720 to power my rear, on wall Atmos speakers....

The MRX-720 has 7 channels powered.....go here for more info-

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-720/page=overview

and it might also help to download their MRX-720 manual and read up on features/setup I explained in my original post....

The DAC's are fine in the 720; its just that I had the Sonica DAC for streaming (from DLNA)/ CD play, already, i.e, its a great unit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My room is just a normal 12' X 16', 10' ceilings....Atmos speakers are located in front and behind MLP, on the wall, 2 subs on opposite corners of the room, rear surrounds in the rear corners, behind MLP.

Already had the amps, before purchasing the 720; thus, I only use 2 channels from the 720 to power my rear, on wall Atmos speakers....

The MRX-720 has 7 channels powered.....go here for more info-

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-720/page=overview

and it might also help to download their MRX-720 manual and read up on features/setup I explained in my original post....

The DAC's are fine in the 720; its just that I had the Sonica DAC for streaming (from DLNA)/ CD play, already, i.e, its a great unit.
I'm actually really considering avm60 instead of the MRX- 1120 the problem I find is the only difference between the two is the power amp......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just switched from a 1120 to a avm 60...very difficult to tell the two apart.
yes thats my problem exactly It would of been nice to have a few extras features, as a newb its hard to see the value if there the exact same model minus the power amp, what would be to motivation to choose the avm 60 if your only saving a few hundred dollars???

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
yes thats my problem exactly It would of been nice to have a few extras features, as a newb its hard to see the value if there the exact same model minus the power amp, what would be to motivation to choose the avm 60 if your only saving a few hundred dollars???

the 1120 couldn’t drive all my speakers so I needed an external amp anyway; plus, i was getting him in my subs i couldn’t figure out, but XLR cables were able to remove.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 1120 couldn’t drive all my speakers so I needed an external amp anyway; plus, i was getting him in my subs i couldn’t figure out, but XLR cables were able to remove.
how many speaker do you have set up? I'm thinking to look into one of the marantz or even the yamaha.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hifi audio to ht movies
Nice speakers, but you'll need a powerful amp to drive them properly. What I have (and recommend):
- Get a Marantz pre-amp (e.g. AV7704)
- Get Parasound 2 or 5 channel multi-amp (depends on your center and side speakers)
- When you buy a Marant pre-amp, you can usually get a bundle discount on something like a MM7055

Not sure what your budget is.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
i just switched from a 1120 to a avm 60...very difficult to tell the two apart.
What amp did you use with the AVM60? Why did you move away from the 1120? Was it because you were curious if separates would sound better?

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
I'm actually really considering avm60 instead of the MRX- 1120 the problem I find is the only difference between the two is the power amp......
AVM has balanced (XLR) connections....

If you know where to go, savings can be substantial, but of course you need to buy an amp, or two - but rest assured in doing so, if you have the space, you will never be lacking for power to drive whatever you need to with dynamic reserves on hand. Advantages and disadvantages to either approach, but I prefer separates. Depending on your situation, you may or may not notice a difference in the final sound product being delivered.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
What amp did you use with the AVM60? Why did you move away from the 1120? Was it because you were curious if separates would sound better?

I moved away from the 1120 as I thought I needed more power than the internal amps would provide.

I currently am using the ATI 528NC. I also tried the ATI 6005, Emotiva XPA-11, and the W4S 7150.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice speakers, but you'll need a powerful amp to drive them properly. What I have (and recommend):
- Get a Marantz pre-amp (e.g. AV7704)
- Get Parasound 2 or 5 channel multi-amp (depends on your center and side speakers)
- When you buy a Marant pre-amp, you can usually get a bundle discount on something like a MM7055

Not sure what your budget is.
i've heard a lot of great feedback about the Marantz pre-amp,as far as amps go i'm thinking emotiva. what do you think about emotiva?
my budget was 3k starting to look like thats not going to cut it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AVM has balanced (XLR) connections....

If you know where to go, savings can be substantial, but of course you need to buy an amp, or two - but rest assured in doing so, if you have the space, you will never be lacking for power to drive whatever you need to with dynamic reserves on hand. Advantages and disadvantages to either approach, but I prefer separates. Depending on your situation, you may or may not notice a difference in the final sound product being delivered.
lol shoot if you have some tips please share, It might save my marriage. I definitely want the separates i'll make the space!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I moved away from the 1120 as I thought I needed more power than the internal amps would provide.

I currently am using the ATI 528NC. I also tried the ATI 6005, Emotiva XPA-11, and the W4S 7150.
so the emotiva xpa 11 wasn't going for you?

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts

So not a big upgrade in sound? I suppose then wrinkle is that you have an anthem to start with which I’m sure has a great on-board amp.

I have a Marantz SR7010 which I’m not thrilled with the sound. I keep obsessing over separates solving the issue. I never listen to volume above -15dB and my speakers are very sensitive... so all reasonable thinking says there’s no way my 7.2.4 system is overly taxed.

But I just can’t shake it. I can’t get a Dirac because they have a new version coming out Q3 of 2018 (so far away!).

I can do some room treatments at best. Then room correction.

I wish I could shake this Amp bug. I want to power the LCR. I wish I could afford a class A/AB. The emotiva monoblock has the first 35W as class A then AB.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts