AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need some help for my audio setup. How long can the line level connection be between pream and Monoblocks without degrading the sound. My pream is going to be about 20 and 30 feet from L and R speakers. Shall I use a 2 channel amp and run 20 feet long speaker wire, or run line level cable from preamp to monoblocks and keep monoblocks close to the speakers. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? And what cables do you recommend to connect preamp to monoblock ( 20- 30 feet)

Thanks

mani

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Keep the amps near the preamps and run speaker wire of at least 12gauge ,

That way there will be no interference in the low level signal or hum even though it is unlikely .

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There are two trains of thought on this. One is Lou's suggestion and the othe the polar opposite. In my scenario, I haven't noticed difference in either case. However I use balanced connections from the pre to pro so all bets are off
If you can use XLR connections, I would go for the longer interconnects and shorter speaker cable. I have also used 50' RG-6/RCA with not much difference. I guess I have very little RF in my room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.