AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm the first person starting a Blu-ray thread about this powerful film! The picture quality won't win any awards, but Mo'Nique's role as Precious' mother, Mary was rewarded with an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

This film will stick with me for awhile! Two thumbs up!

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by selimsivad /forum/post/18303437

I can't believe I'm the first person starting a Blu-ray thread about this powerful film! The picture quality won't win any awards, but Mo'Nique's role as Precious' mother, Mary was rewarded with an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

This film will stick with me for awhile! Two thumbs up!

Wish I could concur. Take out some of the language and this could be a Lifetime Channel movie. As for the Oscar win, I always have an issue with people being nominated who've never done a film before. (Anyone remember Jaye Davidson. Didn't win but was inexplicably nominated. How's that career going?) I'd prefer to see what else they can do before handing out the awards.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ya know, as good and popular as this movie is supposed to be, I don't know a single person that has seen it.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18303513

Wish I could concur. Take out some of the language and this could be a Lifetime Channel movie. As for the Oscar win, I always have an issue with people being nominated who've never done a film before. (Anyone remember Jaye Davidson. Didn't win but was inexplicably nominated. How's that career going?) I'd prefer to see what else they can do before handing out the awards.

I have no problems with a really good performance being nominated, no matter how inexperienced. And if you're referring to Mo'nique, she probably has at least a half-dozen films to her name, if not more.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
I can't believe I'm the first person starting a Blu-ray thread about this powerful film!
Quote:
ya know, as good and popular as this movie is supposed to be, I don't know a single person that has seen it.

Is it really all that surprising when a forum made up primarily of white suburban men who invest five and six figures in entertainment systems ignores a fairly grotesque portrait of a destitute, illiterate, obese inner-city black girl who endures untold amounts of physical, verbal and sexual abuse? We're not exactly the target demographic. Just saying...

That said, it's a fine film and it has a lot of heart. Frankly, I found the trailer a lot harder to sit through than the actual film. At points it veers dangerously close to exploitation and camp, but the actors manage to keep it grounded. Mo'nique gets her big gimme-an-oscar breakdown at the end, but the other actors get to show a lot more range and subtlety. I'd have a lot more respect for the film if it weren't so content to coddle and pander to cosmopolitan middle-class guilt - season 4 of The Wire takes on similar subject matter with much more tact and insight - but I'm not sorry I watched it either and I wouldn't discourage the curious.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Is it really all that surprising when a forum made up primarily of white suburban men who invest five and six figures in entertainment systems ignores a fairly grotesque portrait of a destitute, illiterate, obese inner-city black girl who endures untold amounts of physical, verbal and sexual abuse? We're not exactly the target demographic. Just saying...

If that's the case, then too bad.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I question how many people spend their entertainment time and money on a dower of a film. The scene in Police Squad comes to mind when Leslie Neilson and Percilla Presley are shown coming out of a theater with "Platoon" showing on the marquee, laughing like they had just seen a comedy. Tragedy doesn't rack up the box office like lighter fare.

Everyone I know that has seen this film comments on how depressing it is. Especially depressing is the fact that this story is present in our society in every city across the land.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_D /forum/post/18306949

That said, it's a fine film and it has a lot of heart. Frankly, I found the trailer a lot harder to sit through than the actual film. At points it veers dangerously close to exploitation and camp, but the actors manage to keep it grounded. Mo'nique gets her big gimme-an-oscar breakdown at the end, but the other actors get to show a lot more range and subtlety. I'd have a lot more respect for the film if it weren't so content to coddle and pander to cosmopolitan middle-class guilt - season 4 of The Wire takes on similar subject matter with much more tact and insight - but I'm not sorry I watched it either and I wouldn't discourage the curious.

@Kyle_D, usually I feel my IQ absolutely tanking when I spend a few minutes here at AVS Forum, but posts like yours will have me coming-back again... thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I atended the AMC Best Picture showcase and noone in the theater like this film. IMHO, it wasn't entertaining, informative, or inspiring. What other reason is there to watch?

·
Registered
426 Posts
"Frankly, I found the trailer a lot harder to sit through than the actual film. At points it veers dangerously close to exploitation and camp, but the actors manage to keep it grounded."

Couldn't agree more. I thought the preview was wrenching, but the film is nearly devastating or painful as everyone would have you believe. The quasi-camp factor really is there, and the movie seems painfully unaware of it. At a certain point, the movie just heaps on misery in ludicrous proportions, to no useful effect. (There's one disclosure near the end that just had me rolling my eyes.) Mo'Nique is fine, but it's an awfully demonstrative performance; I actually much preferred Paula Patton and Mariah Carey. Carey has a pretty small role, but I was really taken aback by the nuance she packed into it. Probably the most successful performance in the film, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Guys:

Please take your discussion about the film to the movie forum, there is currently a thread dedicated to "reviews" of the film.

Here's the film review thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200998

This area of the forum is to discuss the technical side of the Blu Ray release:

PQ/AQ

Bonus features

Transfer relative to the theater experience etc

We understand to some degree the "film" will be discussed too...but this thread's direction is only relative to a review of the film...that's not the focus of the Blu Ray software forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I thought the PQ was fairly good on this and was expecting worse from some comments. Facial details and definition in general seems good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts