AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a great room/ family room with not ideal acoustics, is it a waste to go with quality separates (amp and pre amp) or is it better and neater (less cabling and space) just to go with a high end av receiver especially since the acoustics are not great aka wife.

it seems that a lot of great room installers use receivers.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooomz /forum/post/15450954

In a great room/ family room with not ideal acoustics, is it a waste to go with quality separates (amp and pre amp) or is it better and neater (less cabling and space) just to go with a high end av receiver especially since the acoustics are not great aka wife.

it seems that a lot of great room installers use receivers.

More information to answer that question would be needed, such as what speakers you will be using, room dimensions, budget, anything else.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5.1 triad in wall silver speakers, 2 svs ultra 13 subs, richard grey power cond, ps3, blue jean cables.

room size 20x18x30 ceilings with open back.

lots of windows and hard surfaces.

go with separates or high end receiver like denon, sherwood, etc..

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5.1 triad in wall silver speakers, 2 svs ultra 13 subs, richard grey power cond, ps3, blue jean cables.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooomz /forum/post/15452550

Specific electronics will matter far less than trying to improve the acoustics in the room in a WAF way. Suggest looking at area rugs at the least, maybe even hanging one on a wall surface to break up the reflected sound. You can even find decorative wall treatments pleasing to the eye. Shades on the windows, needed anyway for light control.

We just had hardwood installed in a great room, foyer, kitchen and it is very much "echo-y" compared to the carpet we had. Fortunately my HT/music system is in another dedicated media room.

Your Triads have moderately high efficiency but being 4 ohms will present a more difficult load to some receivers, especially to drive them in a big room. If you plan on receivers, I'd look at one of the robust flagship receivers or the next models down. Don't go for lower receiver models & expect the best. For example, the Ice amp receivers Pioneer now has put out up to 200 watts/8 ohms & will drive 4 ohm loads.

Pioneer Elite SC-09 or SC-07

Denon 5308 or 4308

Yamaha RXZ11

Separates - you have many choices depending on how hi-end you want to go. At the budget side, Emotiva, Integra prepros get high praises. On the hi-end, the Denon AVP, Anthem D2 are examples of some of the best, period. You can couple them with any number of multichannel amps, Anthem A5, Parasound A51, Rotel, Sherbourn, Outlaw, are the new Ice amps by Wyred, D-Sonics, come to mind.

But you will need some power for that room. Even though your Triads have a max power rating of 200 watts, better to feed more power than less.

The flagship receivers I listed should meet that power.

Hope this helps.

No definitive answers, here, but if it were me, I'd try to arrange some in-home demos/evaluations before committing on a buy. And don't forget about room treatments of some sort

ss9001

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a newbe here I probably shouldn't be responding to this post but I agree with ss9001. IMHO though, room acoustic issues or not, there is no substitute for a quality amp that can drive the required load without distortion. A quality amplifier is as important as the speakers it's driving, Period! The only thing that could sound worse than an overdriven (clipping) amplifier is a set of K-Mart speakers.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooomz /forum/post/15455498

kind of interested in the Axiom 1400 amp.

Anyone heard anything about it?

According to their web info, it's a "digital" amp. That usually means Class D, which are NOT really digital but analog switching amps. IMO, any mfg who knowingly puts out inaccurate or misleading info to describe their product, is one who should be questioned for more details

Nothing wrong with class D amps at all, but they work differently than "conventional" class A & A/B amps. In fact several hi-end companies Like Bel Canto & Jeff Rowland Group are now producing "audiophile" class D amps, some based on B&O's Icepower technology. I'm using Pioneer's class D Ice amp powered flagship receiver myself.

Since there is not a wealth of info on Axiom's site about the amp, the technology used, or even many spec details, I'd give them a call & ask some questions before proceeding. Won't hurt.

Some other class D Ice amps for your consideration - Wyred4Sound, Bel Canto, D-Sonics, Rowland, Rotel.

Some conventional multichannel amps for your consideration -Parasound A51, Anthem A5 or P5, Sherbourn, Outlaw, Rotel, Sunfire.

ss9001

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
there is no substitute for a quality amp that can drive the required load without distortion. A quality amplifier is as important as the speakers it's driving, Period!

I agree but now days one does not have to spend a lot of money to get a good amp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts