AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just another finger on the pulse of the rEPLAYtv AVS community.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There was no button for "Get in the kitchen and bake me a pie" so I chose "Welcome..." instead.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
What happened to "Waddya mean you have a problem and need help? Go bother some other forum."

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Welcome. Ask anything you want. Then get embarrassed so bad you never post again :eek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Welcome. Ask anything you want. Then get embarrassed so bad you never post again :eek:
I once started a thread that showed my newbie status, not just to this site but to any forum structure. I quickly realized my own mistake and asked the moderators to help me out and delete the thread. The Robman took pity on me and complied. (I was so new, I didn't even know that I could delete the thread by deleting the original post...)

You know, I got over it and have posted many times since, even starting some threads when I couldn't find the information any other way. I have found the other users here to be very helpful overall.

Lately, I have used the Search button and the FAQ to find threads that answered others questions, but it does get frustrating to have to use the same tools available to those posters, when they do not choose to do so on their own.

(Getting down off soapbox.)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedg01
...I have found the other users here to be very helpful overall...

Oops, that was accidental. We won't let it happen again.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Lest we forget, we were all newbies at one point in time.

BTW, Darwin was right!

·
Registered
971 Posts
We were all newbies to this forum, and this forum has been invaluable to everyone, so I say we welcome anyone and let 'em ask what they want. While there is defiantly an etiquette to posting, isn't the important thing to provide information?

So many responses are simply "Try the search button, bub" or "RTFFAQ". Yes, it is sometimes very frustrating hearing the same questions over and over, but get over it. If you have an answer or a pointer, give it, and then politely point the newbie in the right direction. if you don't, then leave it alone and move on. Berating a newbie does nothing more than show your intolerance to someone who is just looking for information.

Besides, it's interesting to me to see continual "waves" of new ReplayTV users. We should be grateful that new people are joining our ranks. Otherwise this forum would become tediously stagnate.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rugby
hmmm...I wonder what lizard_boy's response will be.
ROTFLOL!!! I wasn't going to say anything, but... ;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why would I post an answer to something already in the FAQ?

I mean, right at the top of the forum, it says "Before you ask, check the FAQ." If someone posts without checking the FAQ, they've proven their reading comprehension to be right around zero. I have no expectation that they'd read and understand any answer I could give them if they couldn't figure it out from the FAQ.

(I mean, that aside from the whole "Hi, I'm new here, but my time is more valuable than your time" issue.)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
My feeling is, If you have the time to post "use search or read the FAQ."

You have time to answer the question. Or why post at all ? just let go.

I wouldn't have a problem with telling someone to use search or read the FAQ if it was done in a semi-polite way. That's all.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Berating a newbie does nothing more than show your intolerance to someone who is just looking for information.

No, it's showing intolerance for those who choose not to use their time to use the tools available to find the information. Instead they expect others to take the time to answer their questions, even though the information was readily available to them.

The other group of folks who tend to get a good bit of grief are those who don't even take the time to look on the first page of thread titles to see if the issue they want to discuss is there. No, it's easier to post first and start another thread.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, personally, I do try to just ignore questions that could easily be answered with RTFFAQ. Yeah, it'd take me more time than I'm willing to spend on it to do even that.

Although, I will give up the time to chuckle if someone else posts an RTFFAQ.

But, when someone posts one of those "Hi, I'm new here, but my time is more valuable than yours" posts, I may still elect to spend some time on the question, as the person demands, but I probably won't use it the way they want me to.

I mean, it is arrogant enough when someone comes bashing in and explicitly ignores the stated rules of the forum ("Before you ask, read the FAQ"). It's even more arrogant if they expect that I'll waste my time in the manner they're demanding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.