Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Hate to give you this teaser as it will be several weeks with all my HT upgrades before I will have a final review of this projector, but I just purchased the JVC G150CLZ and from what I can tell thus far, it is a fantastic projector. My primary HT is literally in several little pieces as we speak due to all the upgrades, so for now, the best I could do is project on a creme colored wall for now with only a PC and DVD source readily available. As all my HT pieces get reassembled over the next several weeks, I will be able to sample other sources as well as project on a real screen. Also while this will be my third major HT configuration or upgrade over the last five years, I am far from an expert, but probably as well informed as your average HT enthusiast. With those caveats out of the way, here goes:

Configuration: The G150CLZ bundles the standard lens which is 2:1 to 3:1 zoom with 50% offset with the projector. The lens does come in a seperate box which is good for shipping purposes. Other lens options are offered.

Pricing: Received what was an incredible deal to me, well below what another forum member referred to in another thread as dealer cost on this projector and even below list price for the G15. The deal was too good to pass up for me.

Assembly: Assembling the lens to the projector is straightforward but far from trivial. This is obviously a critical element of the projector, hence it requires delicate and careful handling. It also requires unscrewing the front of the projector which can be mentally daunting. You could always pay someone else to do this assembly for you, but particularly in my case at my price point, bundled assembly was not offered. Fortunately I've been on the inside of every projector that I have ever owned and found it to be very straightforward given other similar work that I have done in the past. The documentation could have been better around the need to remove the back lens cap (in addition to the front lens cap) which I originally did not do, but I caught the error quickly.

Picture Quality: Jaw dropping good on a creme colored wall straight out of the box with no adjustments. I have never seen better in a digital projector. Creamy film like smooth, yet also very sharp and detailed with no calibrations.

Color: Was most impressed with skin tones which are sometimes difficult to dial in. Out of the box (no calibration yet), this projector is as accurate on skin tones to my eye as I have ever seen. All colors appeared vivid and on the money with no sense of push in any given color. Particularly using the PC RGB input, the G150 colors actually looked better to me than the colors on the laptop I was using. Projector is promoted as being D65 standard gray scale reproduction in cinema gamma mode.

Blacks: Blacks appeared very good to me with lots of shadow detail, although it did look as though it could be dialed in even better with calibration.

Pixels: First, no dead or stuck pixels at all! Secondly, with my nose against the wall, I could not make out any pixel structure on a roughly 6 foot diagonal picture (although my final screen will be over 10 feet diagonal). No eye strain of any kind either during or after viewing.

Contrast: Projector is promoted as being 600:1 and while not verified, the contrast looked considerably better than what I've seen many other places. Not sure how much my creme colored wall helped or hindered.

DVD: Saw detail I hadn't seen before with the few DVDs I could even access at this moment in my remodel. The best I've ever seen a DVD picture appear giving a real film-like presence to my eyes on the S-video connector no less. Could not connect through component input for the time being due to my cable availability. Would not accept the DVD progressive out signal, but worked magic on the DVD interlaced signal.

PC: Accepted and synched quickly/effortlessly on every screen resolution and refresh rate that I could throw at it including 1280 by 1024 and 1600 by 1200. Ran some PC video sources at both resolutions and was floored by the 1600 by 1200 images.

Fan Noise: Did not measure it, but it was much quieter than the G15, G11s I've seen. No hush box required from my perspective.

Deinterlacing/Scaling: No visible artifacts for the time being, but did not really put it through it's paces here with any flag troubled DVDs. Used internal scaler only and it performed well.

DVI: Did not try this input, but looking forward to testing this connection soon. Just happy to have this input availability. Not certain if it is HDCP compatible or upgradable at this point.

Biggest knocks so far:

- Way too bright out of the box in my little test set-up. With all other lights out in my test room, the reflection from the wall literally lit up the entire good sized room. There are a couple of projector light control options that I need to play with further before drawing final conclusiosns here.

- Clunky, boxy look is not the most stylistic and it may need a enclosure of some sort just to have it fit the decor of the room.

- Uses BNC connectors for almost every input whereas my previous projector did not. Minor issue, but will require either converters or new cabling for me.

- Less than 100% offset will necessitate an upside down orientation with the ceiling mount. Minor issue, but last projector had 100% offset which was easier for a ceiling mount from my perspective.

Can barely wait to get all the new HT upgrades done. Based on what I've seen thus far, this projector should take care of me for many years to come.

Big Grins Thus Far Here ;)

Mark

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Wow. That sounds great, Mark! I would love to hear what you think of a DVI connection to the G150CLZ, and if you found the improvement over VGA to be subtle or dramatic.

Keep us posted! You are one of the first to get one of these, AFAIK, and you will have to be our eyes on this unit until they start to get out a little more.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks Mark. How is the fan noise? Will you need a hush box?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
There's a lot of material there so it's easy to miss:
Quote:
Fan Noise: Did not measure it, but it was much quieter than the G15, G11s I've seen. No hush box required from my perspective.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mark, regarding your comment about brightness: at what throw distance did you run your preliminary test? Also, it sounds like you ran the test at 100% power output, so it will be interesting to know whether the problem can be minimized by lowering the power output.

Also, you have a PM.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark (milori),

I'm looking forward to getting a good look at the DVI input as well. Will post another update when I can run this test. Actually at least one other forum member has this projector as well, but at last report he was in a similar HT construction phase and was not able to give a full review at this point. Also one other forum member reported that he was in the process of ordering the G150, but has not reported receiving it yet. It really produces a beauty of a picture.

Scott,

My test throw distance was 10 ft. on a 6ft diagonal screen which should be plenty of throw for that size screen. My HT throw will be over 15 ft. on a larger screen which should help the brightness issue to some degree. Also, there is a lamp control setting that tries to keep roughly 70% of the full lamp output over the life of the lamp which is probably what I will use, however I tested this 70% level breifly and could barely notice the difference from 100% output. There's also a lamp control option that allows you to change the lamp output over 7 different continous levels, so it appears you have a good deal of flexibility to dial in whatever lamp output makes the most sense for your setup.

Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mark:

Have you had the opportunity to observe any "shading" issues by watching B&W source material?

Theatrically,

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the encouraging review. I am also seriously considering the G150CLZ. I will be seeing the projector live in a few weeks. If I see what you saw, then I'm gonna buy. My theater is about 3 months from completion. So I will probably order in about six weeks. Looking forward to your final review.

For those that are considering the G150CLZ, I suggest you check with AVS.

Tony C

·
Registered
354 Posts
I didn't see this PJ on the JVC Pro web site. Does it have 1500 or 1000 lumen output?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did anyone else notice that this model can apparently do 1080 progressive? I wonder what THAT looks like..

-David

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl
Did anyone else notice that this model can apparently do 1080 progressive? I wonder what THAT looks like..

-David
It can accept a 1080p input, it can't output that.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Does this model come pretty well calibrated with a high contrast ratio, or is Mr. Phelps's services required?

Are the Panamorph guys making a lens that may mount to it as TAW has announced with their new LCOS PJ?

Jeff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More info:

- Finally had a look at DVD via the component inputs and it produces a richer picture with better contrast than the svideo input as you might suspect. In the previous DVD svideo input, I happened to be fortunate enough to be watching Armageddon which has a very solid picture both in svideo and in component. However, when playing a lower quality DVD, the svideo input does not look nearly as good and more artifacts show up. Playing the lower quality DVDs through the component input did wonders for the picture in every case, both removing some of the svideo softness and artifacts as well as boosting the contrast. Frankly I'm not sure what differentiates the one DVD from another making some produce a better svideo picture, but after cycling through several DVDs, you can definitely see where some DVDs do not produce as good of a picture through svideo. Net-net, component input from my DVD is the way to go.

- Using the component input for DVD, it will accept both a progressive as well as interlaced signal whereas it would only accept the interlaced signal over svideo. I actually seemed to find the interlaced picture more solid than the progressive signal on most of the DVDs that I've tried, but there were a few DVDs like Armageddon that produced excellent pictures on both progressive and interlaced signals.

- Regarding B&W shading, in a quick B&W material test, I saw no issues with shading here. Indeed, their seemed to be a certain "richness" to the B&W images and shadow details remained excellent. This was via the component input from DVD.

- Still have not done calibration nor extensive DVD flag testing, but I'm starting to conclude that film based material produces a more solid picture than video based material. I suspect that like many of the G11s and G15s, a good external scaler will improve the image, particularly on video based material. Need to do more testing here, but I clearly see more artifacts on video based material, whereas film based material appears to be solid as a rock.

- I'm sure that professional calibration can probably help any projector, but on the DVD component input, this is as rich and detailed a picture as I've ever seen even before a simple AVIA calibration. One could probably get away without the professional calibration with this projector, but I'm sure that a Mr. Phelps could work his magic here as well.

Mark

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great info, Mark!

What type of geometry controls does it have? For example, can you move the 16:9 image to the top, middle or bottom of the panel? Also, do you know if the computer input can accept 1365x768 and move this to the top, middle or bottom?

I don't think Dilard supports this projector yet so it would be useful if some of these basic geometry controls were included with the stock unit.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have not received a G150Cl yet, but from my understanding there have not been any changes to the DPC technology in the projector.

The DPC technology is what allows the Image Geometry Wizard in Dilard to work. You should be able to use it just fine with the G150CL. Most of the Wizards should work fine, but again, I have not been able to test to see.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David,

Have not been able to fire up the projector in a bit now, but from a quick look at the manual, I am not seeing what you are referencing. There is an option to change the vertical/horizontal location of the picture, but it appeared to change the position of the entire screen, not just the picture. The manual also does not explicitly state that it will accept a 1365 x 768 picture, although it does appear to cut the screen down to this size when you select the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Someone else a bit more experienced with projector geometry options may be able to figure this out from the manual. Here's a link to the manual:

http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist...el=DLA-G150CLU

OR

http://books.jvcservice.com/download...8149/26508.pdf

Mark

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks for the link to the manual Mark. I see the engineers at JVC have been busy adding features.. this looks like a very cool projector! It handles 16:9 screens much better than the current D-ILA's. It looks like the image position can be controlled (plus the menu position) and it will even format 4:3 sources within the 16:9 screen.

Plus they've added digital zoom, digital keystone correction, selectable gamma settings and deinterlacing options. And I didn't realise that the lamp power control extends the life of the bulb to 2000 hours! Very cool.. I want one!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Hi Mark

This is a great little projector.

I just read it will take 1080/24psf

Id love to see my Teranex hooked up to one of these:)

Now youve got me interested in one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mark,

I am considering the 150cl as well...I do not understand what 50% offset refers to. Also, did you say that there is keystone correction? Does that mean that I would be able to mount the projector up against the ceiling and project on an electric screen that will need to be at least a foot below ceiling level (due to the screen housing) and probably a foot or two below that so that I am not looking up excessively at the projected image?? With only a 92" ceiling and the projector overhead and only a foot behind me, I need it to hug the ceiling while I would rather the image NOT be so high. Is there a PQ price I pay for this keystone correction?

How quiet is the 150cl...since I will only be a few feet below it, do you think a hushbox will be needed if I really do not want to hear ANY fan noise?

Thank you in advance,

Robert

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.