AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what amplification do you use with your Prelude MTS's?

I have a 5.1 (soon to be 7.1) all MTS rig with two MTS sub's.

I'm curious as to what amps people are using to maximize their audio pleasure with these fine speakers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
sorry I cant be of much help, but please post pictures in your gallery after the HT is done.

I'm sure Its going to be an AWESOME setup :)

also, post this question in the amps, receivers and processors section of this forum.

read up on threads about gemstone, emotiva,Odyssey, Sherwood Newcastle, the Arcam avr300 and the new denon 4806 to get started.

It'll help you narrow down the number of choices.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My friend has preludes. He uses Bryston amplification and loves it.

To me its a bit dry and forward but its all a matter of personnal taste. I'd run a slightly smoother amp like a Classe, Edge or older (pre Klipsch) Aragon. Maybe throw a tube in the pre amp and still use the Bryston.

The Prelude is a quality, highly detailed and very close to full range speaker. IMO it will reveal the quality or lack thereof of whatever electronics you hook up to it. It will also reveal any sonic signatures your electronics have good or bad.

Nice speakers.

Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Energeezer,

Thanks for the note - I'm intrigued by your comments. I love the Preludes - but your 100% right in your comments -- they reveal the warts of the electronics (and recordings) behind them.

I currently drive the MTS's with a PIO 59txi - and it's nice - but I want better...on acoustic and vocal material it's sensational - on busier rock material, it's a bit - mmmh - dry?

Oddly enough, in my study, I run a pair of Intermezzo 2.6's+1.2sub with an agiong Yamaha DSP A-1 - and it just sounds terrific - so warm - yet the highs and crystal as well. The MTS's are more articulate and capable - but I sense I need the right amplification to give me the 'warm' but 'detailed highs' that I am looking for.

Seems you figured this our already -- so could you be a little more specific in your recommendations? To start with, I only really need to find a two-channel amp for the mains. On HT material I don;t really care - this is all about getting the most pleasure from 2 channel, CD based, music.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skavan
Energeezer,

Thanks for the note - I'm intrigued by your comments. I love the Preludes - but your 100% right in your comments -- they reveal the warts of the electronics (and recordings) behind them.

I currently drive the MTS's with a PIO 59txi - and it's nice - but I want better...on acoustic and vocal material it's sensational - on busier rock material, it's a bit - mmmh - dry?

Oddly enough, in my study, I run a pair of Intermezzo 2.6's+1.2sub with an agiong Yamaha DSP A-1 - and it just sounds terrific - so warm - yet the highs and crystal as well. The MTS's are more articulate and capable - but I sense I need the right amplification to give me the 'warm' but 'detailed highs' that I am looking for.

Seems you figured this our already -- so could you be a little more specific in your recommendations? To start with, I only really need to find a two-channel amp for the mains. On HT material I don;t really care - this is all about getting the most pleasure from 2 channel, CD based, music.

Thanks.
Well its a crap shoot unless you can test drive the stuff first. Like I said I do believe those speakers will accurately relay the sonics of whatever electronics are ahead of them in the chain. This includes everyrhing from your source to the cabling. I heard them with a Bryston amp, YBA pre-amp and cardas cabling (all pretty high end stuff) and found the sound a little dry to my liking. Since I know Bryston makes great power with a reputation for being a little on the dry side I attributed the dryness to that.

So your options IMO are to start inserting "warmer components" in the chain. Could be a tube output CD player or pre or perhaps just a warmer amp. Since I've not heard that many amps I can only comment on the ones that I listed in my prev post and I do know that they were on the warm side. I own tha Aragon 8008 which I believe to be warmer than Bryston but less so than Classe.

For the record I think that busy rock is one of the hardest types to make sound good for a couple reasons.

1) theres a lot going on at once

2) In many cases it is produced for the ghetto blaster generation.

Its funny because most "audiophiles" seem to think that Jazz, and classical are the measure of good equip but in my experience that music is easy. Its magic when you get a system that sounds good with busy rock.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Its funny because most "audiophiles" seem to think that Jazz, and classical are the measure of good equip but in my experience that music is easy."

Couldn't agree more. Busy Rock uses every ounce of acoustic space available...and speakers and amps that can't handle the dynamic range and energy just sound congested and muffled. The really good gear just puts a smile on your face when it comes to life!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.