·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCOVERY CHANNEL'S LANDMARK SERIES LIFE

LAUNCHES IN UNPRECEDENTED SIMULCAST

ACROSS SEVEN DISCOVERY U.S. NETWORKS ON MARCH 21, 2010

-Series to Premiere Across All Discovery Networks with HD Simulcast Feeds-

(Silver Spring, Md.) - Discovery Communications announced today that Discovery Channel's next landmark natural history series, LIFE, from the makers of PLANET EARTH, will have its two-hour premiere across seven Discovery U.S. networks. In addition to Discovery Channel, LIFE will debut simultaneously on TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, Planet Green and Discovery Health Channel from 8-10PM ET on Sunday, March 21, 2010. The remainder of the series will air on consecutive Sundays from 8-10PM ET through April 18 only on Discovery Channel.

PLANET EARTH captivated the world unlike any other natural history series before or sinceuntil now, said Clark Bunting, president and general manager, Discovery Channel and president, Science Channel. LIFE embodies Discovery's 25-year mission to satisfy viewers' curiosity about the world and its inhabitants. We want to give as many viewers as possible the opportunity to experience LIFE in its premiere telecast; we are confident they will be astounded.

Discovery launched six HD simulcasts for its networks over the past three years, which will allow HD subscribers to watch the premiere of LIFE in high definition on the following channels: Discovery Channel HD; TLC HD; Animal Planet HD; Science Channel HD; Investigation Discovery HD; and Planet Green HD.

Our investment in HD allows us to drive extraordinary value for our distributors and give millions more viewers access to this groundbreaking television event as it was meant to be experienced, in true high-definition, added David Zaslav, president and CEO, Discovery Communications.

Narrated by global media leader and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey and more than four years in the making, the 11-part series LIFE is the definitive exploration of the adaptability and diversity of life on earth, revealing the most spectacular, bizarre and fascinating behaviors that living things have devised to thrive. The premiere episode of LIFE, Challenges of Life, provides an overview and sets the stage for the ambitious series. A special Making Of episode caps the series and tells the incredible stories of the dozens of men and women who spent days, weeks and months patiently waiting for a perfect shot. Other episodes showcase Birds, deep sea marine invertebrates (Creatures of the Deep), Fish, hunting mammals (Hunters and Hunted), Insects, Mammals, Plants, Primates, and Reptiles & Amphibians.

Following its premiere across the seven Discovery U.S. networks, LIFE will air in two-episode installments each Sunday on Discovery Channel and Discovery Channel HD from 8-10PM ET/PT, culminating with The Making of LIFE at 10PM on April 18.

Discovery Channel's epic series PLANET EARTH rewrote TV history in 2007 when it became cable's highest-rated natural history program of all time, with more than 65 million viewers. (cume, all dayparts, 1-min. qualifier, including the two-hour Filmmakers' Story special). For its achievements, PLANET EARTH earned four Emmys, a George Foster Peabody, and a Television Academy Honors Award.

LIFE is a BBC and Discovery Channel co-production. Mike Gunton is the executive producer for the BBC. Susan Winslow is the executive producer for Discovery Channel. Discovery Channel and the BBC also created the award-winning natural history series PLANET EARTH and BLUE PLANET.

LIFE will be available on DVD and Blu-ray at Discoverystore.com and retailers nationwide June 1. Discoverystore.com is now accepting pre-orders.

LIFE on Discovery Channel will be presented by Target. Other major sponsors include Sprint, Volkswagen, GEICO and Discover.

For more information and to begin exploring LIFE, visit www.discovery.com/life .

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/08...networks/44156

·
Banned
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson /forum/post/18271870

Thanks for posting I need to get this set up on the DVR now that we only 2 weeks away

good info. thanks.

which dvr and are you happy with it? who's your provider?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Why they continue to re-cut and create new narrative tracks over the BBC version is baffling. I might hold out for the BBC blu-ray since the Planet Earth set was superior to the Discovery version.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
It seems strange that the only HD discovery channel not listed is HD Theater. Years ago that was where many of us first saw "Planet Earth" in HD. Moreover, many rural cable providers only carry HD Theater and not Discovery, APL, Planet Green, etc. in HD.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam /forum/post/18273487

good info. thanks.

which dvr and are you happy with it? who's your provider?

I am with D* and have 3 HR20 700's and have enjoyed them for the most part with a few hicups here and there

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
They should start putting new material in each of their many promo spots. That way, by March 21, we'll have enjoyed the entire 2-hour series intro. :) -- John

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 /forum/post/18273737

Why they continue to re-cut and create new narrative tracks over the BBC version is baffling. I might hold out for the BBC blu-ray since the Planet Earth set was superior to the Discovery version.

I agree, is there really anyone better at this than Sir David Attenborough?

It is a great series though, I wonder if Discovery is going to include "the making of" segments which have some fascinating information on how it was filmed, some of it using incredible rigging setups and what they had to go through to get the shots they wanted, some really great stuff.

Image for the first post.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is good info.

I will record the channel with the least annoying watermark LOGO and best bit rate of the 7 on DirecTV. Anyone know which has best consistant HD quality?

As far as the LOGO, I seem less bothered by Animal Planets in the upper right.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Oprah versus Sir David Attenborough? I think I'll wait for the Blu-ray release.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to see the BBC and Discovery collaborating on another major natural history show. It's good to see something other than ice road truckers and ghost chasers on Discovery.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
Totally agree with the above posters. Like Weaver, it won't ruin the series, but it's a little disheartning that they think that Americans are so low brow we need a familiar celebrity to do the narrative vs the excelent Attenborough

Anyways, is this all new footage? Little worried, since it took 10 years to fund, get the logistics in place, shoot and produce Planet Earth. My guess is it's going t be a mix of stuff cut from PE, and new footage (Not thats thats a bad thing, a lot of cut footage was cut in the editing process because of other factors).

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Warner Home Video has announced the release on Blu-ray of the BBC documentary series Life, from the BBC's award-winning Natural History Unit, the producers of Planet Earth, with a street date of June 1. This ten-part series presents "130 incredible stories from the frontiers of the natural world." Its premiere episode airs across six of Discovery's networks starting, Sunday March 21, 2010. Remaining episodes air on the Discovery Channel with the finale on April 18. Note that this US edition will feature narration by Oprah Winfrey.

The BBC is also exclusively bringing to retail the original UK version, narrated by Sir David Attenborough.

The UK edition, released in November 2009, was narrated by Sir David Attenborough; it is region-free, but the video is encoded in 1080i at 50 Hz.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4274

From what I understand should you wish to buy it, the Oprah version will only be available through the Discovery Store (just like Weaver's Planet Earth set).

Sir David Attenborough version (UK region-free import already released)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Sir David Attenborough version (for US pre-order)
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Narrated-...8322524&sr=8-1

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I opted to watch the version that was on BBC HD (downloaded in HD) and man there's really no way Oprah can beat Sir David Attenborough. He's just too good at this.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After watching this clip , which is narrated by Oprah, i couldn't stand it. Screw that! Hell no, i refuse to waste this nature epic on Oprah.

Anyway, I ordered UK version from UK Amazon for ~$45 shipped and it arrived couple days ago... I am impressed with the carrier speed, it was as fast as UPS ground service! The Oppo BDP-83 can output straight 1080/50i or convert to 1080/24p without any issues and my JVC Rs2 reads both signals just fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroendless /forum/post/18330112

After watching this clip , which is narrated by Oprah, i couldn't stand it. Screw that! Hell no, i refuse to waste this nature epic on Oprah.

Ewww, Oprah sounds like a knob gobbler in that clip. It is the first time I've heard her narration for LIFE and let me say it will be the last.

It sounds like she is reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to a bunch of kindergarten toddlers.

Discovery just lost me as a viewer for this series with their selection of Oprah Winfrey for narration. I will follow your path and order the UK version on Blu-Ray when available in the US.

You couldn't pay me to listen to Oprah's narration, quite a shame from Discovery.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNiles3806 /forum/post/18333225

Ewww, Oprah sounds like a knob gobbler in that clip. It is the first time I've heard her narration for LIFE and let me say it will be the last.

It sounds like she is reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to a bunch of kindergarten toddlers.

Discovery just lost me as a viewer for this series with their selection of Oprah Winfrey for narration. I will follow your path and order the UK version on Blu-Ray when available in the US.

You couldn't pay me to listen to Oprah's narration, quite a shame from Discovery.

Wow, thats really, really bad.

Might just have to wait for the BD if the whole series is like that. Voice acting and narration isn't easy, no matter how well you do on live and filmed TV. because you'r good at one doesn;t mean the other comes naturally.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 /forum/post/18273737

Ditto. Oprah? Really?

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/18333309

Wow, thats really, really bad.

Might just have to wait for the BD if the whole series is like that. Voice acting and narration isn't easy, no matter how well you do on live and filmed TV. because you'r good at one doesn;t mean the other comes naturally.

Tell me about it, you can tell she is out of her element doing the narration in that clip.

I simply cannot comprehend why Discovery does this with the narration, you would think Sir David Attenborough is speaking in Cockney that the audio cannot be presented to us in his top quality narration.

The key to narration is not to sound like you are reading from a script, with Oprah's voice it sounds like she is reading instead of narrating. Hence the issue. She is worse than Sigourney Weaver's narration in Planet Earth.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wonder if they're going to show the "On Location" segment they show at the end of the episode...I rewatched the first of the series (Challenges of Life) and the end segment was great (with narration by Attenborough of course). Props to the Ministry of Defence helping the BBC with shooting in the Antarctic.

Knowing DSC, they'll cut it out and put more commercials. Sigh.

A little OT, but I wanted to say, BBC Bristol has put out some damn good documentaries over their lifetime, "Life" being one of them.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts