AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
So they're selling the tapes, just not the players. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Whenever there is some way to confuse the joe sixpax, bestbuy will find a way. I wonder how many unsuspecting people are going to order this "high resolution" VHS tape thinking they can use their crappy $50 deck to play it??

What would be so difficult calling it D-VHS and maybe D-THeater and mentioning that it can only be used in a deck displaying the D-Theater logo. Bestbuy might even sell some decks that way.

Anyway the price is great so I pre-ordered one. Could have had free shipping but I went for the 2 day since I don't want to wait.

bb

·
Registered
545 Posts
I give that days to be retracted. The're going to get a couple of hacked off

people that tried to play it on a standard machine. I bet they had no

idea what it is. Are you sure they aren't just selling standard VHS with

some new ad gimmic ?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
..."high resolution" VHS tape ...
Isn't that the Faux edition? ;)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by S. A. Moore
I give that days to be retracted. The're going to get a couple of hacked off

people that tried to play it on a standard machine. I bet they had no

idea what it is. Are you sure they aren't just selling standard VHS with

some new ad gimmic ?
No, because several things indicate that this is in fact the upcoming D-Theater version. The release date matches and so does the MSRP. I am not aware of any other VHS high resolution format for prerecorded content than D-Theater.

bb

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did anyone see the release date change? It was 5/28 as previously reported, when I purchased now it lists 6/6 for a release date. Did the release date slip a week, or did Best buy just move their ship date out? Maybe they had such a demand that they already sold out and had to change the date for new orders?

--------------------Dave

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
BUY.COM also sells it ... for $3 less, plus no sales tax. Their 2-day shipping charge though is a lot more. Buy.com clearly specifies HDTV rather than "high resolution."

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Quote:
So they're selling the tapes, just not the players. Interesting.
They've been selling the players online for quite some time, marked "Not Available For In-store pickup"...

Troy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks for posting all that good info. Cxld my bestbuy order and ordered it from buy.com. Came to obout $8 less (but normal shipping, not 2 day).

bb

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The WSR site (forum) said that the release date has slipped a week. So it is not just Best Buy, but applies to everyone. The WSR site is now taking orders ... at list price.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Darrell,

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it just might have been me.

--------Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Out of interest, evidently someone noticed the High resolution comment and fixxed it. It now reads High Definition.

----------------Dave

·
Registered
439 Posts
Does anyone know if this tape will flag for down-res on the componet outputs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.