AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon AVR-1801 to power my family room audio. The input is a Windows media PC. Volume is great- no problems for 10 years.

I am trying to use the Pre-out (also tried the other outs) as input to a Sony receiver to power 2 outdoor speakers. No matter what "out" I use on the Denon amp, the volume is horribly low out of the Sony amp. When I select the "tuner" input on the Sony, the volume is great. When I use the RCA cables from the PC directly into the Sony, volume is great.

Why is the volume so low on the outs on the Denon amp? I know this isn't optimal, but I think I am going to have to split the RCA cable from the media pc to get decent volume.

P.S.

I have simplified this- I actually have a 6 zone 8 source distribution amp, but have no zones left to use for the outside speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A pre out is a "variable" level output. Which should be fine for driving a receiver. A line out would be for connecting to a recording device.

The volume on the Sony needs to be near max, because you are using it like an amp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried using a y cable to split the input for the denon and the sony. The Denon works fine (couldn't tell a difference in volume or quality). The Sony is still extremely faint. I am beginning to think that the Sony is very sensitive on it's inputs. It is also quite old, though I doubt that would make a difference.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
why are you using the preouts on the Denon 1801 to connect to the Sony? That's a variable output so if the Denon volume isn't turned up, the signal will be low to the Sony.

Use the MD/Tape output on the bottom left back of the receiver. That is a fixed output. Then you can use the volume control on the Sony for the outside speakers.

What input are you using on the Sony receiver, you never mentioned that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried using other "outs" on the Denon including the VCR and CD. They all have really low volume. I tried using all the different inputs on the Sony. They are all the same except phono (which for obvious reasons doesn't work right).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also tried plugging in my cell phone using a phono to RCA cable into the Sony and it played very loudly.

When using the OUT on the Denon or splitting with a Y cable the volume coming out of the Sony even turned all the way up is less than the volume of the speaker on my cell phone.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
One more thing. Make sure you don't use the phono input on the Sony if it has one. Otherwise, I have no other ideas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using the CDR/Tape out so that shouldn't be affected by the volume. I cannot use the pro-out because the Denon is hooked up to other speakers and I cannot just crank it up.

I plugged the CDR/Tape out inot another receiver and also got a very low volume. I guess the Denon outs just suck. I am going to have to get a signal amplifier (distribution amp) I guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it working. I didn't want to go this route because it was quite a bit of work, but I used an empty zone on my distribution amp (Xantech ZPR68) to feed into the Sony. Since I don't have IR for outside, I had to change the code group and use the IR from the family room and then reprogram my remotes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.