AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the wife just bought our first house. We have a decently sized room which we have earmarked for the home theater. We hired a contractor to do various things throughout the house, and wanted something done in the future home theater room to ensure adequate, and clean, power. I know NOTHING about home wiring or electricity so can anybody tell me what I could tell the contractor to do to make sure that I won't experience interference in equipment, or lack of power now and in the future. Would a dedicated circuit be all that I need (we have room for a few more circuits in the box)?

Our current equipment is:

Sony 36XBR400

Denon avr-3801

Yamaha 5 disc cd changer

Toshiba sd-2109

Echostar 6000 receiver

Jvc s-vhs player

Tivo series 2

Jvc 7 input s-video switcher

2 playstation 2s

Sega dreamcast

Xbox

Sega Saturn

Nintendo Gamecube

Definitive Technology powered tl2600 fronts and a c/l/r 2300 center channel

We intend to upgrade from our current 36XBR400 to around a 100-inch front projector dlp set-up in about 4-5 years. What would the contractor need to do to make sure we're ready for the upgrade? I would appreciate any and all input on this subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
At the very least, I would suggest two 20A dedicated circuits. That should go a long ways towards covering your current needs and future needs. If you haven't already, consider multiple outlets for the AV area, and remote outlets for such things as ceiling mounted projectors, Sub-woofers, electric screens/masking, etc.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what exactly is a remote outlet? is it simply an outlet that can be turned on via a light switch? is this how a projector HAS to be turned on?

also, if i intend to mount the projector on the ceiling should i have an outlet placed in the ceiling now, or can/should that be done later on down the road? is it that simple? we just determine where we plan on putting the projector and have a normal outlet installed?

thanks for the input ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.