AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not ideal, but I want to enclose my fronts and center in a wall unit speaker cavity directly above my Toshiba 50HDX82.

The speakers are part of the Polk Audio RM6000 package. Very small satellites (3.5" wide, 5.5" high, 4.5" deep) and small center (about same depth, slightly shorter, about 11" wide).

The speaker cavity will be 46" long (width of RPTV), 27" deep, and 8" high. Basically, a big rectangular box...

I figure that I need to close the speakers in with some kind of deadening material and close up all of the unused space in the speaker cavity to cut down on echoing and resonance...but I am not sure how best to proceed.

I am not an audiophile and these are "beginner" speakers...base entry into home theater. Still, the cabinet should be configured to get the most sound out of the speakers.

Recommendations for preparing the speaker cavity? What kind of acoutical foam? Thickness? Where to apply it? Do I make "foam boxes" to insert over the speakers to completely box them in? What about all of the wasted, unused space in the speaker cavity?

Should I make a new "back cabinet wall" out of acoustic foam and place it right behind the speakers? This way, the perceived depth of the cavity would not be 27". It could be immediately behind the speakers.

Please help! My wall unit is being installed this Tuesday and I want to be prepared with a sensible sound solution.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey juris98. I spend most of my time in the projector forum. I was just now checking out the speaker forum and saw your post.

I was basically did the same thing you are wanting to do a few weeks ago. I asked my question (close to yours) in the Home Theater builder forum. The only response I remember was from a guy who built a false wall along the front. It was just some 2x4s with black fabric covering it. Very nice looking. Do a search on my user name and you should find a thread I started about this.

Anyway, I built a wall out of maple with "holes" for my subs, L/R and center speakers. These holes are larger than the speakers themselves so it leaves me room to go larger in the future. These holes are sealed off from the rest of the wall. only opening is for the front of the speakers. I found some acoustically insulation which I stapled to the top, sides, and bottom around the speaker. For your reference, my L/R speakers are 24 h, 15w, and 13 deep. The hole is about 36h, 25w, and 24 deep.

I am still working on my theater, so not really sure how this new speaker location affected the sound. No carpet yet, no acoustical treatment, one sofa.

If you care to PM me with your email address, I will send you some pictures. I cannot post them here because I have yet to figure out how to do it.

patrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Patrick21. My cabinet is being installed this week. I am going to try polyfil to fill the unused space in the speaker cavity.

I appreciate your response. I was a little surprised that no one else had any advice on this topic...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.