AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

I recently picked up a Sony digital camera and am interested in cropping pictures taken in 16:9 mode to exactly 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high so that I can display them on my plasma with NO SCALING (i.e. 1:1 pixel mapped) through my HTPC.

Are there any open source (freeware) photo editors which can allow users to preview an image, specify a crop area or window of 1920x1080, then drag that crop area/window within the larger previewed image to select only the 1920x1080 pixels of interest?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
whats the resolution of your camera?

your tv is about a two megapixel display device (1920x1080=2,073,600=2.07 megapixels)

your image is going to be DOWNSCALED, not upscaled if you want a 1:1 pixel map. You will be tossing out 80%+ of your image.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20834071

whats the resolution of your camera?

your tv is about a two megapixel display device (1920x1080=2,073,600=2.07 megapixels)

your image is going to be DOWNSCALED, not upscaled if you want a 1:1 pixel map. You will be tossing out 80%+ of your image.

Thanks... here's a cut/paste description of the camera:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V 10.2MP CMOS 10x Wide Angle Zoom Digital Camera with Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD

Product link (Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho.../dp/B00328HR76

Yea, you nailed it... 10.2MP cropped down to 2.07MP = 80% image loss

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/20834126

Thanks... here's a cut/paste description of the camera:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V 10.2MP CMOS 10x Wide Angle Zoom Digital Camera with Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD

Product link (Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho.../dp/B00328HR76

Yea, you nailed it... 10.2MP cropped down to 2.07MP = 80% image loss

Chances are that your digital camera is going to look pretty poor at such cropping. The 1:1 pixel-peeping quality of most cameras does.

I would have had a look at GIMP.

-k

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I read in the user guide that this camera has two 16:9 still image modes...

16:[email protected] (3648×2056) for viewing on a high-definition TV, and for prints up to A4 size, and

16:[email protected] (1920x1080) for viewing on a high-definition TV.

So I guess I now know which mode I should use

I'll definitely take a look at GIMP. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/20834484

Actually, I read in the user guide that this camera has two 16:9 still image modes...

16:[email protected] (3648×2056) for viewing on a high-definition TV, and for prints up to A4 size, and

16:[email protected] (1920x1080) for viewing on a high-definition TV.

So I guess I now know which mode I should use

I'll definitely take a look at GIMP. Thanks for the suggestion!

I use my camera in 4x3 mode to use the full MP of the camera. Windows Photo Gallery has an adjustable 16x9 setting that I use to crop what I want from the photo. Works nicely, you should give it a try.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/20834058

Hey everyone...

I recently picked up a Sony digital camera and am interested in cropping pictures taken in 16:9 mode to exactly 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high so that I can display them on my plasma with NO SCALING (i.e. 1:1 pixel mapped) through my HTPC.

Are there any open source (freeware) photo editors which can allow users to preview an image, specify a crop area or window of 1920x1080, then drag that crop area/window within the larger previewed image to select only the 1920x1080 pixels of interest?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Don't bother. If you take thousands of photos, like I do, you will soon tire of cropping them. I save my images as 10mp DNG (raw image) files. They display just fine in WMC as a slideshow with a black background. Of course the ones with vertical aspect ratio look small, but usually there is a reason why they were taken that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.