AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the 60GB hard drive in my PS3 and according to the system info it says I have 25GB out of 55GB left.

Here is what I am wondering. I planned on buying a 32GB USB flash drive to place the backup on. I know I have to format it to FAT32, but what I'm wondering is how much space will that take up. Will I have enough room left on the flash drive after the format to do a full backup? If not, and considering I can't find any stores aside from online that sell 64 or 128GB flash drives, then what would be my next option?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I tried this once before, when I had used about 3 gigs of space, and tried to back up on an 4 gig flashdrive. I had the 20 gig drive. It said I needed a larger drive. So I bought a larger portable drive, used that, and now have a large drive inside my PS3, and an extra drive for my lap tops music and video files.

In theory a flash drive works just as well, but I think the PS3 would want at least 60 gigs to back up a 60. That said, I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdoc /forum/post/17003716

So I bought a larger portable drive, used that, and now have a large drive inside my PS3, and an extra drive for my lap tops music and video files.

Sometimes I can be a real moron.

I don't know why an external drive never occured to me, but looking at the prices where I plan on buying all this stuff, I can get a 250GB external hard drive for less than I would a 32GB flash drive.

Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Happy to help.

This site has helped me so many time too.

I went with a large Passport Elite. Its great as I also have the Hauppage PVR, and now put my power point lectures, movies, TV shows and music on the Passport.

Use it well.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/17007372

What I would suggest is deleting all the demos and stupid trailers/videos you don't really need and can download again. You will save a lot of room that way.

The good thing is I don't have any of that. Just game files and saves.

The thing that worries me is my Rock Band DLC. I read that when you partition your backup drive to FAT32, the largest file it can accept is 4GB. I have to look, but I'm afraid that I may have more than 4GB of Rock Band songs. If that's the case and it doesn't backup, that's going to be a major pain to have to redownload.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp /forum/post/17008718

The thing that worries me is my Rock Band DLC. I read that when you partition your backup drive to FAT32, the largest file it can accept is 4GB. I have to look, but I'm afraid that I may have more than 4GB of Rock Band songs. If that's the case and it doesn't backup, that's going to be a major pain to have to redownload.

If you cannot back up Rockband songs, but its the same PS3, simply go to the PSN store, go through prior downloads, and re-download. You can do this up to 5 times total. So even if you buy an extra PS3 for another room, you can download to that system as well.

Enjoy, and save room for the Beatles songs

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the backup ran smoother than expected. The Rock Band songs even transferred, which was my biggest concern.

I just hate doing new things that I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to be done because I usually have a tendency to mess things up bad. Thank God for knowledgeable people here to help guide the way.

I do have a new issue though explained in this thread .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just some advice...

Make sure you have two drives on hand, or one drive that will hold a couple of backups. The backup is dated, so each new backup is a new export with a new date. You will have to delete the old backup first to make room for a new backup if you can only fit one backup on the device. If you delete the only backup you have, then you don't have a backup until the new backup is finished!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.