AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘The 100’ Prequel From Jason Rothenberg In Works At the CW With Backdoor Pilot Order

The long-rumored prequel to post-apocalyptic drama The 100 is getting closer to reality. The CW has given a backdoor-pilot production order to the project, from The 100 developer/executive producer/showrunner Jason Rothenberg.

Written by Rothenberg, the potential prequel is being developed as a planted spinoff and will be introduced in an episode from the upcoming seventh and final season of The 100.

The Untitled 100 Prequel is set 97 years before the events of the original series. It starts with the end of the world — a nuclear apocalypse that wipes out most of the human population on Earth — and follows a band of survivors on the ground as they learn to cope in a dangerous world while fighting to create a new and better society from the ashes of what came before.

Rothenberg will executive produce with The 100 EP Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo of Alloy for The 100 producers, Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. TV and CBS Television Studios.

Rothenberg had been teasing a potential The 100 prequel for the past couple of years. In 2016, he revealed plans to write a prequel novel for Alloy, the publisher of The 100 YA book series by Kass Morgan that became the basis for the CW drama. In interviews earlier this year, Rothenberg teased that he was writing a script for a prequel series. I hear the script was completed this past summer.

The 100 follows a group of post-apocalyptic survivors, largely a group of criminal adolescents. They are among the first people from a space habitat, the Ark, to return to Earth after a devastating nuclear apocalypse. Season 7, which will consist of 16 episodes, is slated to premiere in 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/the-100-prequel-series-in-works-the-cw-upcoming-episode-jason-rothenberg-backdoor-pilot-1202768155/

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
‘The 100’ Prequel: Iola Evans, Adain Bradley & Leo Howard Cast In CW Backdoor Pilot

EXCLUSIVE: Iola Evans (Carnival Row), Adain Bradley (Riverdale) and Leo Howard (Why Women Kill) are the first to be cast in CW’s The 100 prequel backdoor pilot, from The 100 developer/executive producer/showrunner Jason Rothenberg.

Written by Rothenberg, the prequel is being developed as a planted spinoff and will be introduced in an episode from the upcoming seventh and final season of The 100.

The Untitled 100 Prequel is set 97 years before the events of the original series. It starts with the end of the world — a nuclear apocalypse that wipes out most of the human population on Earth — and follows a band of survivors on the ground as they learn to cope in a dangerous world while fighting to create a new and better society from the ashes of what came before.

Evans will play Callie. Whip-smart and passionate with a rebellious streak to boot, Callie has spent years ignoring expectations in order to fight for the causes in which she believes. But when the apocalypse devastates the world she had been working so hard to save, Callie must find a new purpose, and future, for all that remains of humanity.

Bradley will portray Reese. Hard-working and headstrong, Reese has spent a lifetime in fierce competition with his beloved sister, Callie. But when the opportunity to finally prove his worth comes with an incredible cost, Reese must figure out what lines he is willing to cross to finally come out on top.

Howard is August. A Rebellious and passionate musician, August is a member of a radical environmental group dedicated to saving the planet by any means necessary. After the apocalypse, he must figure out how to go on when everything he had been fighting for is gone.

Evans and Bradley have series regular options to return if the pilot is picked up to series.

Rothenberg will executive produce with The 100 EP Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo of Alloy for The 100 producers, Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. TV and CBS Television Studios.

The 100 follows a group of post-apocalyptic survivors, largely a group of criminal adolescents. They are among the first people from a space habitat, the Ark, to return to Earth after a devastating nuclear apocalypse.

Evans trained at the Royal Conservatoire Of Scotland. She just played the lead role in the National Theatre’s workshop for The Ocean at the End of the Lane, based on the Neil Gaiman novel. On television she appeared in a recent guest role on Amazon’s Carnival Row opposite Orlando Bloom and Cara Delavigne, and last year on ITV’s Vera, opposite Brenda Blethyn. She’s repped by Circle of Confusion and Waring and McKenna in the UK.

Bradley most recently wrapped the leading role in Constantin Film’s upcoming feature Wrong Turn: The Foundation and will next be seen in the indy feature, Butter, alongside Mira Sorvino. His other TV credits include recurring roles in Riverdale for CW, All About the Washingtons for Netflix, and CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful. He’s repped by Circle of Confusion, Gersh and Myman Greenspan Fox Rosenberg Mobasser Younger & Light.

Howard, a world class martial artist, is known for incorporating his martial arts skills into his feature film and television roles, as Young Snake Eyes in G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra, as Young Conan in Conan the Barbarian and as Jack on the Disney XD comedy series, Kickin’ It. He can currently be seen in CBS All Access series Why Women Kill and in a recurring role on the CW’s Legacies. He’s repped by Paradigm, Randy James Management and Buchwald.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/the-100-prequel-iola-evans-adain-bradley-leo-howard-cast-in-cw-backdoor-pilot-1202857946/

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I'm not quite sure what a prequel could offer that the original hasn't already. A redux of surviving the original apocalypse from the start, vs surviving the aftermath?

·
Premium Member
9,115 Posts
My guess is that they'll ultimately end up in the mountain. We'll just have to watch see what direction they take.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Though I would expect some of what was going on in Mount Weather to be shown, I assume this will be more of a Lord of the Flies descent into chaos, leading to the formation of factions that resulted in the 13 Grounder clans.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I think I'd rather see a show about the creation of the Ark, TBH.
If you enjoy reading you should check out Neal Stephenson's SEVENEVES. Nothing to do with The 100, but follows your one sentence plot.

Reactions: Aleron Ives

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arrow Spinoff, The 100 Prequel Still Under Consideration at The CW

Green Arrow and the Canaries will have to cool their collective, butt-kicking heels a little while longer.

As revealed by The CW’s fall and midseason schedules for the 2020-21 TV season, neither the Arrow spinoff nor The 100‘s untitled prequel have been been ordered to series. Yet. But both pilots are “very much alive” and remain under consideration, CW boss Mark Pedowitz said in a Thursday press conference.

Similarly, the long-gestating, oft-revisited The Lost Boys pilot has been “rolled” to the next development cycle, while the Dark Shadows sequel announced in September has yet to make it to the pilot stage.

“Once we get through this [pandemic] climate, we will make a determination on how best to proceed with Lost Boys,” Pedowitz said. “I’m hoping to keep it going.”

Arrow wrapped its eight-season run on Jan. 28, two weeks after both Superman & Lois and Supernatural vet Jared Padalecki’s Walker, Texas Ranger reboot got ordered straight to series, with nary a frame of footage shot. And just this week, both the Kung Fu reboot and The Republic of Sarah pilots got ordered to series, making Green Arrow and the Canaries‘ cheerleaders especially anxious.

Arrow‘s planted spinoff pilot on Jan. 21 drew 890,000 total viewers — a season high, excepting last year’s crossover episode — and a 0.3 rating, which turned out to be a tenth above what the series finale itself scored. The 2040-set episode earned an average TVLine reader grade of “B,” with 66 percent saying they would “absolutely” tune in if it gets ordered to series.

Arrow vet Katie Cassidy, who would headline Green Arrow and the Canaries with Juliana Harkavy and Katherine McNamara, recently told TVLine, “I’m a very positive person, so I feel confident that we’ll go [to series]…. If there was ever a time for a three-hander, all-female badass show, now is the time!”

https://tvline.com/2020/05/14/green-arrow-and-the-canaries-spinoff-status-cw/

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 100 Releases Synopsis for Prequel Spinoff Backdoor Pilot Episode

A synopsis for an upcoming episode of The 100 hints at secrets from the past surfacing to set up the planned prequel spinoff series.

BY SAM STONE

As the seventh and final season of The 100 continues, series creator Jason Rothenberg is developing a spinoff prequel series. Soon, fans will get a tase of what that show might be like when the backdoor pilot episode arrives on July 8.

The CW has released the official synopsis for the planned spinoff, which will air as the season's eighth episode. Titled "Anaconda," the episode reveals Clarke Griffin will confront a new enemy while secrets from the past back on Earth will resurface.

THE PAST – Clarke (Eliza Taylor) confronts a new adversary. A surprising connection takes us back to the past and the nuclear apocalypse that destroyed the Earth. written by Jason Rothenberg

Details on the planned prequel remain under wraps, but the show would reportedly be set 97 years before the start of The 100, in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear armageddon that swept across Earth. While the ancestors of the main characters took refuge on an orbital space station for generations, the surviving remnants of society on the planet rose from the ashes of civilization to form makeshift tribes in a desperate effort to survive.

https://www.cbr.com/100-releases-synopsis-prequel-backdoor-pilot/

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 100 Boss Promises Long-Awaited Answers in Prequel Episode — Plus, What Would the Spinoff Look Like?
By Andy Swift

Wednesday’s episode of The 100 (The CW, 8/7c) hits the rewind button on the sci-fi drama’s final season, setting the stage for what could very well be the franchise’s next chapter. In addition to taking viewers all the way back to Earth’s first nuclear apocalypse in 2052, the pivotal hour — which serves as the backdoor pilot for a potential prequel series, potentially titled The 100: Second Dawn — also brings the story full circle in a number of exciting ways.

“Something I really wanted to do this season was to connect a lot of the dots, or fill in the blanks, whichever metaphor you want to use,” showrunner Jason Rothenberg tells TVLine. “We wanted to answer a lot of questions, including why the bunker was empty when they opened it in Season 4. I made a promise to John Pyper-Ferguson back in Season 4 that he was going to be involved with the show for more than that one episode. And I finally made that promise come true… three years later.”

Indeed, Wednesday’s episode (“Anaconda”) paints a complete picture of Pyper-Ferguson’s character Bill Cadogan, the mysterious “Shepherd” of the Disciples. More importantly, we’re finally introduced to his oft-mentioned daughter Callie, who has all the makings of The CW’s next great heroine.

“The original show was always about seeing how far people would go to survive,” Rothenberg says. “It was a story of tribalism and showing what people would do to protect the ones they love. In this new show, Callie’s mission statement is: I don’t care who they are, I’m going to save them. She’s a protagonist for our time.”

Callie’s portrayer, British actress Iola Evans, was discovered through a global casting search, and Rothenberg says the competition wasn’t even close. “There were a bunch of people who were interesting, but there was no one I had fallen in love with,” he recalls. “On a flight back home from New York in December, which was getting pretty close to when we had to shoot the episode, I watched her self-tape audition and it was instant. She’s just so talented, and she has no idea how good she is yet, so it was awesome getting to be on set with her [and director Ed Fraiman] and really help her find that performance. I adore her, and whether or not this series gets picked up, that girl is going places.”

This week’s episode also introduces us to Callie’s brother Reese (played by The Bold and the Beautiful‘s Adain Bradley, but before you go dubbing them as the next Bellamy and Octavia, Rothenberg says we’re going to see a very different dynamic between these siblings. “Bellamy was essentially a surrogate parent to Octavia from the time she was born,” he says. “That relationship started out strong, but it went through some ups and downs and peaks and valleys once the show started. There’s a bit of a Cain and Abel story [with Callie and Reese]. She’s the free-spirited leader traveling her own path, while her brother always craves their father’s approval. Because he never gets it, and Callie does, it creates a bit of a sibling rivalry that becomes very intense.”

So, how should you prepare for Wednesday’s critical hour? If you can’t go back and watch full episodes from earlier in the series, you might want to at least re-familiarize yourself with the first apocalypse, aka “Praimfaya.” In fact, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to scroll through that entry in the show’s Fandom wiki before you watch. (It’s OK, I’m not your social studies teacher. I won’t tell anyone you used a wiki for research.)

https://tvline.com/2020/07/07/the-100-prequel-spinoff-explained-jason-rothenberg-interview/

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This The 100 Prequel Sneak Peek Has the Coolest Reveal About Trikru's Origins

BY LINDSAY MACDONALD

fter years of wondering whether The 100 would ever get its prequel spin-off, the backdoor pilot for this potential new series has finally arrived! And TV Guide has an exclusive sneak peek at the end of the world!

This potential spin-off is set 97 years before the events of The 100 pilot, when the nuclear bombs A.L.I.E. (Erica Cerra) launched first went off, seemingly killing everyone not locked in a secret, underground bunker. The Second Dawn cult, led by Bill Cadogan (John Pyper-Ferguson), survived the blast, but as we see in this sneak peek, not everyone inside was happy to let those still above ground die.

This short clip shows new characters Callie (Iola Evans) and August (Leo Howard) breaking ranks and attempting to open the hatch door to let others into the bunker. We're not sure what we're more floored by — that Trikru was actually some kind of protest organization before Praimfaya, or that the spin-off's would-be protagonist, Callie, is actually Cadogan's daughter!

You can expect plenty more surprises from this backdoor pilot and a whole lot of answers about how the Grounder civilization really began. Jason Rothenberg told TV Guide that this episode (and potential new series) will provide some cool history-based Easter eggs that will be fun for The 100 fans to look out for but won't leave new fans reeling either.

"To use a weird metaphor, we've tasted the fruit, and now we're planting the seeds," Jason Rothenberg told TV Guide. "The idea of where the Grounder language came from... like all of these stories, the 100-years-later versions of these stories were told, and now we're sort of getting to the history. I think [it's] cool because you don't have to know what happened afterwards to go for the ride this time. You don't need to be a fan of the original to watch the show and go for this ride. I think it'll bring, ideally of course, new fans to the original once they did start to take this story in."

Can you imagine how trippy it would be watching this entire prequel series and then starting The 100 for the first time?

The 100 airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/this-the-100-backdoor-pilot-sneak-peek-reveal-about-trikrus-origins/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts