AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago, Comcast, PQ looks better than it did from the HOF Game, last one I saw, very good overall, especially on a station that multicasts to 7.2 and 7.3. Some field shops look a little darkish/blurry, but it maybe because of overcast forecast and/or fireworks?

I didn't mind the score line on the bottom (and I would much rather have it all the way at the bottom if it has to be that way), but do they have to grey out the whole area under it as well?

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
That's all we need, another horizontal scoreboard wiping out 10% of the picture. :rolleyes:

Not as much wasted real estate as FOX, but still a step in the wrong direction. By the time we actually get NFL framed for 16x9, they'll have to zoom out anyway to accomodate the stupid scoreboards.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with CPanther. Another awful decision by those genuses at Disney. Why even bother having widescreen sets when you wipe out a significant percentage of the screen for utterly useless graphics? These guys must sit around at meetings thinking about how to ruin their picture and broadcasts.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
On my RPTV, FOX loses about 15% of my screen with the scorebar. This appears to be less than that, but I haven't measured it.

Maybe we need to encourage more football fans to become engineers. We'll get a nice small time clock up in the corner, and the score and down will only come up in between plays.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip
I agree wholeheartedly with CPanther. Another awful decision by those genuses at Disney. Why even bother having widescreen sets when you wipe out a significant percentage of the screen for utterly useless graphics? These guys must sit around at meetings thinking about how to ruin their picture and broadcasts.
As annoying as it is, it's a big improvement over that intrusive scoreboard they had last year that was practically in the middle of the screen because it was framed for 4:3.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
That's all we need, another horizontal scoreboard wiping out 10% of the picture. :rolleyes:
It's horrible, as is Fox's. And they don't even show the down and yards to go. The CBS graphic is fine. Why ABC and FOX have to have this horizontal abomination is beyond me.

But Dish STB have one great feature. You can zoom an HD signal. I'd rather zoom the picture and loss part of it and some PQ degradation, then have to see that horizontal piece of trash. I wonder which idiot first came up with the idea of the horizontal garbage?

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
The picture looks better than CBS to me. I guess it's the 729p DLP.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ABC's MNF PQ is just about always really good.

I would rate the 4 networks as thus for NFL games;

1 - CBS

2 - ABC

3 - ESPN (maybe tied with, or higher than, ABC if I was seeing something that was not overly-compressed on D*)

4 - FOX

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Flipping between D*'s west coast feed and OTA here in the Bay Area, the OTA picture is noticably sharper and the sound is mixed differently. The OTA 5.1 sounds much better. Wish I could make screen caps to show everybody. I'm surprised, but OTA just looks, well, better. :p

BTW, OTA is KGO-DT and they are muticasting.

The D* STB is the "H10" and is brand new, I think...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthstooge
As annoying as it is, it's a big improvement over that intrusive scoreboard they had last year that was practically in the middle of the screen because it was framed for 4:3.
Agreed.

·
Premium Member
35,983 Posts
It would be nice if they could at least make the info bar translucent, and what's with the stars..? A 4x3 bar instead of the full length one would be better...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I don't understand why they can't use the scoreboard bug they used during the BCS games. It was similar to what TBS/Turner South has for the Braves. It was small and thin. I'm praying they use that for the NCAA coverage whether its SD or HD.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
On my RPTV, FOX loses about 15% of my screen with the scorebar. This appears to be less than that, but I haven't measured it.

Maybe we need to encourage more football fans to become engineers. We'll get a nice small time clock up in the corner, and the score and down will only come up in between plays.
I measured mine, a Mits 65" HDTV. It is slightly less than 8% of the total area, all of it on the bottom. I have no grey area beneath it, I can barely make out some field on the very bottom, and I can see a bit of field within it. I went to the ESPN baseball game to look at their graphic just for drill. It takes up 2% of the screen, all of it in the field of play, and then you have to add the banner at the bottom anyway, and it's almost as big as the ABC banner. I think this new position is designed for widescreen, if you don't have that, it will appear to take up a whole bunch more of your usable viewing area.

I don't have a problem with it at all.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The only problem I have with the "scorebug" position is I wish they would lower it some, other than that, much better than ESPN or FOX.

If only they would add an ABC bug to that bottom line, and not a big noticeable bug above it!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Watching from Austin on TWC/QAM, I could see pixelization artifacting fairly often on this broadcast. Mainly when some object would pass rapidly in front of another object, or when ABC would put up a big flashy graphic.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6
Watching from Austin on TWC/QAM, I could see pixelization artifacting fairly often on this broadcast. Mainly when some object would pass rapidly in front of another object, or when ABC would put up a big flashy graphic.

I always have that same problem as well. And thats watching either on a full bandwidth OTA channel or one OTA that subcasts 1 or 2 other channels.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.