AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Japanese 30K for almost two years now and through some divine intervention have not suffered the multiple maladies long documented on HDTV Recording Forum threads.

These well documented problems have left me cautious about how I use my 30K.

First and foremost, I use my D-VHS VCRs for HDTV purposes only. Why waste expensive machines on NTSC garbage?

Most domestic recording has been through the Panny system.

Playback is preferred through the superior mpeg decoding 169time DTC-100, using the Mits D-VHS VCR as transport.

I have continued to use the 30K for playback of BS sourced content--until now.

The Samsung SIR-T165 STB does a fine job video decoding BS content using a Mits as transport, but can neither decode nor pass through the AAC audio bitstream.

Enter the "Home Theater in a Can," the Sony MDR-DS8000.

Check out this link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...MAAADySxbA1ReM

Now, one can take advantage of the Samsung's video decoder and the Sony's audio AAC decoder to enjoy HD BS content without fear of breakdown of the JVC transport which is, as Roger has so ably documented, the engineering weak link of the JVC decks.

The JVC is still necessary in this scenario in order to present the AAC bitstream to the Sony. Unfortunately, the Samsung will not pass it on.

So: Mits HD-2000 VCR as transport. One firewire port goes to the Samsung, the other to the JVC 30K. Toslink from 30K feeds AAC decoder.

The Mits appears to be a much more reliable transport with extremely rapid fast-forward and rewind functions.

(I will check on the compatability of the PV-HD1000 as BS transport soon).

Now, one could invest in an outboard AAC decoder instead (or use the 5.1 analog outputs of the JVC) but in my system I have only two high quality speakers with no desire to add more.

The Sony is a great late night viewing solution.

Wireless, comfortable, and great sounding for movies.

I am still using the 30K for recording DirecTV HDNet content via the AVX-1 and DTC-100 but could use the Mits instead...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unfortunately, I must now report that the PV-HD1000 will not pass the BS video bitstream to the Samsung STB.

Only the "Mighty Mits," as Don has dubbed it, is equal to the task.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Must be a problem with the Samsung. The PV-HD1000's play BS tapes (even WOWOW copy-no-more) just fine through other decoders, like the 30k and 35k. Try using the component output of the Samsung instead of RGB.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Roger,

Great work on the 30K innards.

Have you tried breaking off that post yet to allow instant D-VHS playback of S-VHS tapes?

BTW, I am using component out of the Samsung.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks, Todd. It's like gold mining in the Klondike -- nuggets everywhere.

Not yet on the circumcision. Don't want my 30k's to be different from others around here, at least not for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.