AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...Heres the deal. I have a powered subwoofer. Its old DCM from about 1994. It has like a 150wt plate amp. Has RCA inputs and outputs AND has terminals for speaker wire if you dont have a way to use RCA.

Im trying to figure out how to to hook it up to an old Pioneer VSX9700s receiver and then hook that up to my newer VSX 52tx.

The 52tx has a sub input but the older 9700S dont. You can look both up on GOOGLE to see the backs of them..

I really need to get this going ASAP as I really want to surprise a friend of mine coming over...Thanks for any and all help ....

Yes the sub is self powered, but Im wanting to get more power to it...from the use of the old receiver...BY THE WAY...Should I just bypass the plate amp on the sub and go right to the receiver? Will using the plate amp and the extra receiver work or would it burn up?

I know this sounds all crazy but hey..You have to work with what you have. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15568180

OK...Heres the deal. I have a powered subwoofer. Its old DCM from about 1994. It has like a 150wt plate amp. Has RCA inputs and outputs AND has terminals for speaker wire if you dont have a way to use RCA.

Im trying to figure out how to to hook it up to an old Pioneer VSX9700s receiver and then hook that up to my newer VSX 52tx.

The 52tx has a sub input but the older 9700S dont. You can look both up on GOOGLE to see the backs of them..

I really need to get this going ASAP as I really want to surprise a friend of mine coming over...Thanks for any and all help ....

Yes the sub is self powered, but Im wanting to get more power to it...from the use of the old receiver...BY THE WAY...Should I just bypass the plate amp on the sub and go right to the receiver? Will using the plate amp and the extra receiver work or would it burn up?

I know this sounds all crazy but hey..You have to work with what you have. Thanks for the help

Won't work.

The speaker level inputs take the signal and convert it to a level the amp can deal with, applies its built in crossover and uses its own power to amplify it. It also passes the full signal out the speaker out connections.

The only way to use the receiver as an amp is to bypass the amp on the sub all together. But there is also a chance that the receiver you'd be using wouldn't put out much more power than the sub amp already produces. That and sub amps tend to have some sort of overdrive protection which keeps the woofer alive as well as allows you to get the most SPL near clipping.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub im using is Dual VC Memphis Audio M3. Its not the original DCM any longer. I have it hooked up to the plate amp then rca to my 52tx. OK...

So I need to bypass the plate amp all together...So can I hook the sub up to the 9700s by speaker wires or can I use RCA to the "front amp" hook ups? then from there how would I get it to my main receiver 52tx?

REMEMBER....IF I cant use the rca to the 9700s the sub has speaker terminals that can go the the 9700s instead. But I still need to know how to get it to the 52tx from there...Thanks LOTS

·
Registered
358 Posts
That particular reciever is rated for 100-125 Wpc which means you're not going to notice any real difference by changing amps.

Your main reciever may or may not have a sub output, what you would need to do is take that and send it via RCA to your 9700. Then use the coresponding speaker output (left or right channel) that you plugged the RCA cable into.

That speaker wire should be hooked directly up to the woofer. Seeing as its a Dual coil, if its a dual 2 Ohm then connect the coils in series and if they're dual four, series as well because your reciever more likely than not, cannot deal with a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help...BUT I got up this morning and got it working. I just needed to mod the box and ports a little. Its 100% better now and 100% better then the old DCM subs that were in the box. I could bennifit by getting a better plate amp, but for now, its pretty amazing compared to what it was.

Again, thanks for the help..

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15570590

Thanks for the help...BUT I got up this morning and got it working. I just needed to mod the box and ports a little. Its 100% better now and 100% better then the old DCM subs that were in the box. I could bennifit by getting a better plate amp, but for now, its pretty amazing compared to what it was.

Again, thanks for the help..

Not a problem. When you're ready to make a real subwoofer come back and post again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts