AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pretty exited about the subwoofer tests they made over at AV Talk and though that we should do a similar test here in Finland. This is preview for the first part that will happen tomorrow (11.9.2005) (if the weather is fine of course).

We are testing only a few subwoofers this time, but if everything turns out good there will be a second part with many more subwoofers.

Subwoofers being tested:

SVS PB12-Ultra (sadly my second Ultra didn't make to the test, it's still at customs)

SVS 20-39PC+ (dB12.1)

SVS 20-39PC+ (dB12.2)

BK Monolith ( http://www.bkelec.com/ )

BK XLS200

(DIY Adire Shiva MK IV) Didn't make it.

We are doing thorough measurements, including FR, THD (both sweeps and 10% limit), compression, full ETF (FR, impulse response, spectral decay, GD).

Full report with plots and pictures of the subwoofers will follow shortly after the test.

Here are some pics for you all sub lovers. (sorry for all the dial-up users, but I'm behind a 2 Mbit. ;) ) I'm running these three suckers in at the moment. They all sound absolutely superb. :cool:

PB12-Ultra (rosewood)

BK Monolith (12" ported, light oak)

BK XLS200 (10" sealed, black)

http://personal.inet.fi/private/ilkk...0088_small.jpg

http://personal.inet.fi/private/ilkk...0090_small.jpg

http://personal.inet.fi/private/ilkk...0100_small.jpg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Great stuff!! I'm already giddy about getting to see what's the difference between the db12.1 and db12.2, and then the Ultra, and when Ed finishes his PB12 Plus test the difference between PB and PC. And with the avtalk results probably coming later tonight I will have to spend hours, if not days studying the results :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
How did it go? Any quick comments on the db12.1 vs the 12.2?

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Umm, it didn't happen yet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Why do I have visions of the glassware in the upper right corner of the first photo flying around the room in little pieces. :D ;)

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
We are doing thorough measurements, including FR, THD (both sweeps and 10% limit), compression, full ETF (FR, impulse response, spectral decay, GD).....Full report with plots and pictures of the subwoofers will follow shortly after the test.
Very nice Ilkka! I'm already salivating and really looking forward to you keeping us posted. :cool:

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKellog
What kind of speakers are those in the picture? :)
Wharfedale Emerald 97 MK IV, British speakers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka
Wharfedale Emerald 97 MK IV, British speakers.
Not really British any more as Wharfedale is now Chinese owned and the speakers are made over there too.

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J
Not really British any more as Wharfedale is now Chinese owned and the speakers are made over there too.
OK, mine are 2 years old and the actual model (Emerald 97) showed up around year 2000, so maybe they were made in the UK? :) But anyways, they sound great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If there will be a second part I'm sure to join you, altough I don't think there's any point in bringing my PCUltra over. I might bring some beer to cover for the ultra... ;)

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The event was a success! It will take about a week (hopefully) from me to gather all the data.

Here you can find some pictures from the event. Thank you Maukka for those nice pictures!

·
Registered
620 Posts
That's good news. The days waiting will be spent studying the avtalk tests :)

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
There were measurable differences. ;) Dare I say clear.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka
There were measurable differences. ;) Dare I say clear.

Oh no! I can feel my curiosity kicking in now, it's going to be a long week ;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ilkka,

I notice on the very last picture of the link you provided, the mic is laying on the ground, is that standard procedure?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ilkka,

This looks to be great!

I see that you're testing a DIY rig in this test run. I have noticed that there's a Finn on this forum (mvaarani) who has built a DIY sub using the Rythmik DirectServo system. I would love to see this sub tested, as it looks to be a good choice for anyone who wouldn't push their sub to super high volumes.

There are reviews of the sub on the web, but they are largely subjective. What few numbers there are available on the web are either from the manufacturer or done in a way which makes it hard to assess the results. Have you ever spoken to this forum member before (I think his name's Mika V.), and is he close enough by that you could consider asking him to participate in a round of testing?

P.S. If mvaarani's listening, maybe he'd consider chiming in?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD2.
Ilkka,

I notice on the very last picture of the link you provided, the mic is laying on the ground, is that standard procedure?
That is a standard procedure on ground plane measurements.

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc
Ilkka,

This looks to be great!

I see that you're testing a DIY rig in this test run. I have noticed that there's a Finn on this forum (mvaarani) who has built a DIY sub using the Rythmik DirectServo system. I would love to see this sub tested, as it looks to be a good choice for anyone who wouldn't push their sub to super high volumes.

There are reviews of the sub on the web, but they are largely subjective. What few numbers there are available on the web are either from the manufacturer or done in a way which makes it hard to assess the results. Have you ever spoken to this forum member before (I think his name's Mika V.), and is he close enough by that you could consider asking him to participate in a round of testing?

P.S. If mvaarani's listening, maybe he'd consider chiming in?

Thanks!
Yes, I know Mika from a Finnish audio forum. He lives around 350 km from me, so it is a big trip for him, but I can ask if he's willing to join our next event.

And unfortunately they Adire Shiva didn't make this time. We had plenty of subs already and the Shiva had a separate amp etc... Hope you all will understand. Maybe next time we are more concentrated just on DIY subs? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd be really interested to see how my DirectServo would measure. Unfortunatelly that distance is a bit too much - almost 450 miles in total :( So I don't think that will happen unless I have an opportunity (=work related) to travel in that part of the county. Another possibility - a stroke of luck - would be if the measurements were arranged a bit closer (city of Tampere/Helsinki/? would do fine).

With my subjective listening test in two different enviroments I can assure that my sub is quite good with music. Getting that max output at 20hz wasn't my goal when building it ...but I woudn't be suprised if it would output 95db at 20hz with relative low distortion. Good extension, low Q & low GD (= usually sealed) with sturdy cabinet was in my plans. DirectServo was the answer - thanks to RythmikAudio. If I had to compare my sub to a commercial sub then I'd have to say that my friend has as tight-sound sub as this is; he owns Martin Logan Depth.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.