AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***This is just a preview of this thread at the AVS Special Guests forum. Click below to go to the actual thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=241739

Pete Broas, Marketing Manager, Texas Instruments, manufacturer of the chips for DLP projectors, will be my Special Guest starting April 13th for a week.

Pete was previously my Special Guest for Texas Instruments about two years ago at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=broas

***Don't forget that special rules for members to post in this forum are listed in the GUIDELINES towards the top of this forum. If you want to post, you are first required to have read the GUIDELINES and to have signed that you will do your best to abide by them. This Special Guest forum is a special one and without everyone's cooperation we will not be able to have Special Guests appear here. Thanks for understanding.

And please, I do ask that folks DO NOT REPEAT QUESTIONS. Please show the utmost courtesy to Pete as my Special Guest. And please respect that Pete may be unable to fully answer some questions due to legitimate proprietary and business concerns.

· Registered
5,445 Posts
I thank you Pete Broas for being a special guest here.

My questions are

1 Forum members here speculate on an improvement on the dmd design that people call the "dimple fix". My question is this something coming in the future and does it noticably incrase contrast ratio over hd2 dmd?

2 Can we expect archimedes color wheel in ht projector designs and does this archimedes color wheel reduce the so called rainbow effect that is hothersome for some people?

DLP based products are great today and I am asking about where you see room for improvement and what is a priority to you picture quality wise.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
It seems to me that the one area that digital PJ's are still weak in is in their ability to create true black and to show detail and color in shadows/dark areas of the picture.

How is TI planning to overcome that weakness, and how soon?

· Registered
1,309 Posts
welcome back pete! you may remember me as the person to approached you to come to this forum the first time. glad to see you returned.

i know everyone will ask about hd3 and dimple fixes so i will focus on a few questions that do not involve unannounced products.

- how is ti's business plan evolving for dlp? in the beginning you were focused on the business pj market then the ultraportable segment. in the past few years you are doing more home theater but i am curious if you see that as a major part of your revenue or not compared to commercial stuff. i am also curious if you see a need to push the envelope on resolution or if you think the more lucrative market is to focus on RPTV's and volume.

- i remember last time you did a nice job of laying out the various generation of chips you were offering. i am kind of losing track. is there just one hd2 or has it evolved so that the current hd2 is different than the original? what chips are you currently making?

- did DM3 end up becoming standard on hd2 or did the 12 degree tilt eliminate the need for dm3?

thanks for your input.

greg

· Registered
534 Posts
Are there steps being taken that could potentially reduce or eliminate "rainbows" seen in most DLP projectors? Wether a real issue or not, this seems to be the biggest "drawback" to DLP from the dissenting crowd.

Will the newer chips have a higher processing frequency (and thus, be able to increase color wheel speed?)?

Is TI involved at all in the implementation of an Archimedes color wheel for use with your DMD chips? What are your thoughts on this technology?

Is there anything on the horizon from TI that may even eliminate sequential imaging artifacts?

Thanks for your time!

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.