AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing a massive renovation on an apartment and have started prewire. We are likely going to want to install things like 3D TV's within the next few years. It makes sense to wire fiber optic cable from the rack location to all of the TV locations so we can be prepared for any upcoming video standards.

What type of fiber should I run?

We will be using HDMI over CAT6 initially, so the fiber is for future use. What type of fiber should I install to ensure I will be able to use it in 3-5 years?

Is it better to buy pre-terminated cables or just run the fiber and worry about terminating it later once we know what the endpoints will be?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Flex conduit would be a better, truly future-proof alternative...

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceC /forum/post/18181930

What type of fiber should I run? We will be using HDMI over CAT6 initially, so the fiber is for future use. What type of fiber should I install to ensure I will be able to use it in 3-5 years?

You will want to run 10GB rated, Multimode, Duplex, 50 Micron fiber. I would use a minimum of 4 strand fiber. In my project I used 2 strand fiber but I would not recommend that. The reason I used 2 strand was that 1) I was pulling it myself so I can re-pull it if need be and 2) I was terminating it and testing it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceC /forum/post/18181930

Is it better to buy pre-terminated cables or just run the fiber and worry about terminating it later once we know what the endpoints will be?

Do not terminate now. The reason being is you do not know what type of connector you will need in the future. Some manufacturers specify SC connectors (which my project required) some use ST, some use LC and some use MTRJ. Again the connector you will use is dictated by the manufacturer of the equipment you choose.

Take a look at my project and you will see Multimode, 2 strand, 50 Micron Fiber with SC connectors.

Over a single pair, 2 strand, fiber I an sending the following to each display.
1) Uncompressed HDMI 1.3 video with support for Deep Color
2) Uncompressed Multi-channel Audio (Dolby® TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, Dolby Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio™ 7.1, DTS-HD High Res 7.1, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES Matrix 5.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24 5.1, up to 8ch PCM)
3) Ethernet (10/100)
4) RS-232 (1 Port)
5) IR (2 Ports)
6) USB (1 Port)
7) Relay (2 Ports)
8) Digital/Contact
9) Ability to embed CEC commands directly within the HDMI Channel and send to any display

Hope that helps. Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i would definitely not run 2-strand. I would run 6 or 8 strand. The cost of fiber is minimal compared to what you would want to run in the fiture. A lot of things now take a couple strands and if you need a couple sources to be delivered, you'd be out of luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where would you buy fiber optic cable ?

I did not see it on monoprice.

And how do you know what kind is better than another...shielding, wall rated, transmission capacity etc......

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 /forum/post/18183672

Where would you buy fiber optic cable ?

I buy from The Fiber Optic Cable Shop . You will have to call and see how much bulk fiber will run you as they only list pre-terminated and set length fiber. You can purchase bulk fiber in 100, 200, and 300+ spools just call them and ask for a price.

Quote:

I did not see it on monoprice.

I do not buy from Monoprice at all but I don't think they carry terminated or unterminated fiber.

Quote:

And how do you know what kind is better than another...shielding, wall rated, transmission capacity etc......

Fiber is different than copper. As copper can transmit analog and digital, Fiber only transmits digital via laser.

The one thing that Fiber can not do is carry power (low voltage).

As far as which brand is better, they are pretty much all the same, they have to fall in to an approved set of "Loss Tolerances". Just make sure you purchase fiber from a company, like the The Fiber Optic Cable Shop where someone is there that knows Fiber. If Monoprice sold fiber, I would never buy it from them, but from a company that specializes if fiber and you will not have any issues.

The MOST important thing to keep in mind is when it comes to terminating fiber you have to go with some who has a lot of experience in terminating (including the proper tools) and testing fiber (Testing is the most important part). The person terminating the fiber will need to do a series of tests for Visual Tracing, Optical Loss, etc to make sure it's within tolerance. If these and other tests are not done you can experience a range of issues not related to cable quality but to termination.

With that said, if anyone is buying pre terminated fiber all the testing has been, or at least should have been, done for you and should work out of the box for you. If it doesn't you should be able to return it for a replacement.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious /forum/post/18184499

With that said, if anyone is buying pre terminated fiber all the testing has been, or at least should have been, done for you and should work out of the box for you. If it doesn't you should be able to return it for a replacement.

Hope that helps.

If you put it in the wall for future proofing and don't terminate now then the fact that you can return it may not help 3 years from now when the walls are sealed up....

Can fiber be tested with terminating it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18184882

Can fiber be tested with terminating it?

I under the impression you are actually asking if fiber can be tested WITHOUT terminating it. Am I correct? If I am correct then the answer is yes. Unterminated fiber can be tested. A bare fiber adapter will be needed to do the testing.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Thanks James that was my question. As there were posts above the said not to terminate until the "future" is known I would want to ensure that the fiber was working properly and hadn't gotten damaged.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious /forum/post/18184499

I buy from The Fiber Optic Cable Shop . You will have to call and see how much bulk fiber will run you as they only list pre-terminated and set length fiber. You can purchase bulk fiber in 100, 200, and 300+ spools just call them and ask for a price.

I do not buy from Monoprice at all but I don't think they carry terminated or unterminated fiber.

Fiber is different than copper. As copper can transmit analog and digital, Fiber only transmits digital via laser.

The one thing that Fiber can not do is carry power (low voltage).

As far as which brand is better, they are pretty much all the same, they have to fall in to an approved set of "Loss Tolerances". Just make sure you purchase fiber from a company, like the The Fiber Optic Cable Shop where someone is there that knows Fiber. If Monoprice sold fiber, I would never buy it from them, but from a company that specializes if fiber and you will not have any issues.

The MOST important thing to keep in mind is when it comes to terminating fiber you have to go with some who has a lot of experience in terminating (including the proper tools) and testing fiber (Testing is the most important part). The person terminating the fiber will need to do a series of tests for Visual Tracing, Optical Loss, etc to make sure it's within tolerance. If these and other tests are not done you can experience a range of issues not related to cable quality but to termination.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18185785

Thanks James that was my question. As there were posts above the said not to terminate until the "future" is known I would want to ensure that the fiber was working properly and hadn't gotten damaged.

Thanks

Just make sure you have someone with a "Bare Fiber" testing experience.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 /forum/post/18185849

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Your welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts