AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a home and plan to install a plasma about 15 feet from the equipment.

Can I purchase prebundled cable? Who sells it? If I use individual cables what do I need ?

My system will include a satillite dish with PVR, DVD, VCR, Hard drive music server, receiver, computer, and wiring for the future.

Thank you for any help you can offer. This equipment is complex and I appreciate the existance of this forum.

Al Vorne

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pre-bundled wiring, knows as "structured wiring" is avail in different configurations from Smarthome.com, but you might find it cheaper on other websites. You're going to need a minimum of Cat5 TP, component video, RGB, S-Video, and you may want to consider future proofing and run a couple fiber optical cables as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have your builder run a conduit in the wall from where your components are to be to the area behind the plasma. Have them use wide curves rather than right angles. This will allow you to add cables as necessary in a very simple way.

Bill

·
Registered
273 Posts
cat 5 cabling? to the display? what the hell for? :confused:

bill has the right idea, have a conduit installed so you can run whatever cables you need.

At the end of the day though, you'll probably only need power and a DVI-D connection, and an HD-Leeza on the other end of the cable (where all of your gear will be.) You've listed too much stuff to directly connect to a panel, so you'll need some sort of switch anyhow.

Don't forget to prewire for the speakers ;)... You might want to include the center channel along with the DVI in your conduit, and possibly some sort of infared remote repeater if your equipment isn't visible in the front of the room.

-Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.

What is a TP cable?

If I want to use the display as a computer monitor would't i need a 15 pin VGA plug and is this too large for an in wall conduit?

Al Vorne

·
Registered
154 Posts
TP is "twisted pair" network cable. I only mentioned it since you asked about structured cable for equipment including your music server. A conduit and junction box for the plasma is a good idea and the pipe can be sized for the cables. To be safe, I'd make sure that the power supply for the plasma be in a separate conduit from the data lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.