AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm developing a higher-end spec home and have two locations above fireplaces I'm trying to prewire for HD flat panel televisions. The equipment will reside in cabinetry nearby (10-15 feet) and connect through the walls to the panels. I will not install equipment but rather allow the future homepwner to make those decisions at the time of purchase or later. So I'd like to provide an 110 V outlet and prewire the video connections (component v. HDMI) yet have a finished appearance. Problem is that those video wires must cross an in-wall space populated by a jumble of fireplace flues.

My thought is to either tack component and/or HDMI wires in place now with adequate clearance and teminate in juction boxes with a cover. Only problem with this is that what do I do for future compatibility (HDMI-II or similar unknown)? I'm thinking a conduit of some sort through which I can pull wires later, but how to terminate it in something with a finished appearance?

Any thoughts/suggestions/previous experience?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern is putting in the right size conduit to accomodate pulling possibly several wires and their bulky connectors. I'm thinking 2" min i.d. pipe, but then how to terminate something like this in a standard double gang box.

Oddly enough, I was looking at my in-wall vacuum system, and thought that might be an alternative. Use one of those wall plates with the flip down flapper lid and the conduit. Only problem is it's PVC pipe and therefore not very heat resistant.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, a really ignorant question. Having not yet used an HDMI connection, which end of HDMI goes to the plasma and which to the source? Smaller connector end to plasma? Or vice versa?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure what materials the "fireplace" is made of... but if it is wood i would look into making a false door that can be removed for future wires. You can install the connector in this panel and then remove it to access the conduit in the future. Look at a grandfather clock, how the side panel lifts up then out. Not sure if this will help or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.