AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the price and trying to take in everything that is going on in the low end projector market, and i was wondering what options would you pay more for on a projector? Right now the HS20 is $600 more than the Z2 and the Z2 is $200 more than the AE500.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Sony definitely has some attractive features that I would like to have.

It has higher resolution with MLA which should make SDE less pronounced.

Dual DVI ( This alone makes it worth it for me since I would buy a DVI switcher otherwise).

I wouldn't consider the higher lumen rating as being a reflection of the actual performance. All of these 3 should be in the same ballpark WRT light output.

Of course if the overall PQ is not equal or better than the others this is all moot.

edit: Now that I think about it I seem to recall that the HS20 doesn't need a CC filter like the HS10. The brightness should actually be substantially better if this is the case.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I really wouldn't assume that the street price on the Z2 is going to come out $200 more than the 500. I actually would be really surprised if it wasn't the same price or cheaper than the Panny based on past priceing with the Z1 and 300.

RG

·
Registered
789 Posts
If the street pricing here in Japan is any indication, the two PJs should be very close indeed. I've been comparing the lowest prices of the AE500 and the Z2 and the difference is less than $20 right now, with the Panasonic being the more expensive model.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>The Sony definitely has some attractive features that I would like to have. It has higher resolution with MLA which should make SDE less pronounced.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's pretty obvious that the pricing of the AE500 puts serious pressure on the Z2. It is therefore not surprising they are "same priced" in Japan, et al.

I would imagine in the U.S. we will see the same kind of effect.

Sony can and will charge more. They could do this if there were no advantages to the Sony, on brand alone.

I kind of want all three:

* Lens shift

* Smoothscreen

* Iris

* Dual DVI

* Long lamp life

* Side heat venting

* Super quiet

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
The newer/improved smooth screen technology in the AE500 might totally outclass the MLA reduced SDE in the HS20 though...
From any normal viewing distances, I don't see how ANY projector could "totally outclass" the HS20 WRT SDE. I mean, c'mon, SDE is barely a factor on the HS10. If Sony has improved upon that model, I don't see reduced SDE as being a huge selling point for the Panny over the Sony, unless you're planning to sit closer than 1.5x.

--Scott

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>From any normal viewing distances, I don't see how ANY projector could "totally outclass" the HS20 WRT SDE. I mean, c'mon, SDE is barely a factor on the HS10. If Sony has improved upon that model, I don't see reduced SDE as being a huge selling point for the Panny over the Sony, unless you're planning to sit closer than 1.5x.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
I don't really think that SDE is a factor on the HS10 either, although it is there if you look for it. On the AE300 it's not there even if you look for it. Having said that, since MLA was highlighted as an attractive feature worth paying extra for over the AE500, I am merely pointing out that the smooth screen technology works better than MLA for SDE, if SDE is a factor for you.
Well, when you consider the fact that MLA reduces SDE *AND* increases brightness, then I think it is worth paying extra for. :)

I understand your point though...

--Scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks like the expected price for the HS-20 has been posted by the site across the sea. Not taking pre-orders however.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
From any normal viewing distances, I don't see how ANY projector could "totally outclass" the HS20 WRT SDE. I mean, c'mon, SDE is barely a factor on the HS10. If Sony has improved upon that model, I don't see reduced SDE as being a huge selling point for the Panny over the Sony, unless you're planning to sit closer than 1.5x.
I agree, SDE wasn't a factor for me either. I was just on the threshold of making it out on the HS10 at 1.5x but sony has other features I am will to pay the premium for. As far as I can tell it is the best projector for under 5000 MSRP to connect a computer to. How many games come stardard at 1280x720? And how many can do 1024x768. That alone will most likely swing me away from the Z2 and ae500 even if I have to pay $600-$1000 more for it. I know, I know, I'm a freak.

-Jeremiah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.