AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DIY-ers,

I'm interested in doing a DIY speaker build for my office (I have rear channels in the ceiling) and I need right/left/center for my desk and to the sides.

Is there a DIY option that would meet or exceed the Polk Monitor60 Series II for less on price?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

I'd like to do something with a flat pack so I don't need a router (one tool I don't have)

I looked all through DIYsoundgroup and was interested in the Fusion-4 quad (28" tall is pretty impressive!) but just not sure if there are any other packs out there. A tower-ish setup for the R/L would be great, but I need something horizontal for the center channel to sit on my desk under the monitor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Why so big for a desk. I'm having a hard time imagining your setup. You don't want to sit 3' away from that size of speaker. Or is your desk the size of a small theatre room.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fair question. Desk was going to be 5' wide and the speakers were going to be ~8' apart.

I was thinking towers just because of the subconscious desire to pee further than the guy next to me....

Any suggestions on the smaller side? I can build the desk as wide as I want.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you never sit further away than at your desk I would go smaller. Look online at some mixing room set ups and think that route.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What about the overnight sensation MTM? Thinking about a piano white finish sitting on the desk
I have built and heard these and I approve. With a matching sub, of course!
(although depending on the size of your office, you may not need these)

You should also check out the Hitmakers because they were designed with nearfield listening in mind.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Office is 12x12. As I mentioned, I already have the sub covered. I will keep it in the back corner of the room.

I will look at the near field recommendation as well

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't think I'd even bother with a center. With it on the desk pointing at your chest, you're not going to be getting optimal sound from it, and since you're always going to be sitting right in front of the monitor, a pair of front speakers will line up perfectly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense, but my receiver will be doing 5.1 output, so it would follow that I needed a center?

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
That makes sense, but my receiver will be doing 5.1 output, so it would follow that I needed a center?
Your receiver should have a phantom center mode. Basically it just splits the center content between the left and right speakers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you like a mostly flat frequency response and can fit something slightly bigger than the overnight sensation mtm's, check out the Hitmakers. I love mine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've read that the overnights are a bit more 'musical" and the hitmakers are more accurate. Given the majority of my computer use is gaming/movies, the hitmaker seems to be a better option (even though it's not quite as visually appealing in my mind!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts