AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an fyi. Received my comcast bill today (central jersey) and the dvr fee has increased. First dvr in the house is $11.95 (was $9.95) Heres the real kicker. Additional dvrs in the house $16.15 each (was $9.95) My bill increased $14 just from dvrs not including the other rate hikes.

Mike

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses /forum/post/0

Just an fyi. Received my comcast bill today (central jersey) and the dvr fee has increased. First dvr in the house is $11.95 (was $9.95) Heres the real kicker. Additional dvrs in the house $16.15 each (was $9.95) My bill increased $14 just from dvrs not including the other rate hikes.

My local '07 price list is not clear, but my educated guess is that the second DVR fee of $16.95 includes mirroring of Standard service.

IOW, before it was 'DVR $9.95' and 'Enhanced (Digital Starter) A/O $4.95', total, $14.90.

So, really the second DVR is $2 more like the first first DVR is.

Is that not correct?

What gets confusing is if you get 'Digital Classic/Plus A/O', which was $8.90.

Does it still exist?

If so, how much $ over a second regular box?

And how much over a second DVR?

Does 'Whole House Premium Access' for $5 still exist?

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Sigh. Still worth it though, at least for the first DVR. And the more I get used to having a DVR, the more it'll be worth. I'd figure seeing the rental for an HD DVR go up to $20 a month within 10 years.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/0

Sigh. Still worth it though, at least for the first DVR. And the more I get used to having a DVR, the more it'll be worth. I'd figure seeing the rental for an HD DVR go up to $20 a month within 10 years.

Well, here they include the first regular box in Digital service, which if itemized would be $4.15, (this is the price for a box for a la carte premiums), and then it would be $11.95 to upgrade to a DVR, so actual cost for DVR is $16.10.

(Areas that itemize all STBs will likely now be charging $15.95.)

Then add Franchise fees and taxes of over 11% here, and it is ~$17.90 total.

Do you still think the first DVR is still worth it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my bill yesterday with all the new charges. Made me ill. Can I just buy one of these boxes (Moto 6412) and not have to pay the $11.99 per month, or do they control the programming by serial number or something?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman /forum/post/0

I got my bill yesterday with all the new charges. Made me ill. Can I just buy one of these boxes (Moto 6412) and not have to pay the $11.99 per month, or do they control the programming by serial number or something?

I'm pretty sure you'd end up paying more for the 6412 if you bought it and then had to replace it in two years. I'm on my 3rd and 4th DVR in just about two years.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

Well, here they include the first regular box in Digital service, which if itemized would be $4.15, (this is the price for a box for a la carte premiums), and then it would be $11.95 to upgrade to a DVR, so actual cost for DVR is $16.10.

(Areas that itemize all STBs will likely now be charging $15.95.)Then add Franchise fees and taxes of over 11% here, and it is ~$17.90 total.

So basically the two boxes are the same price -- the first one just seems less expensive since part of the cost of it is paid for from the digital package price. Thanks for that clarification. It sure does make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

Do you still think the first DVR is still worth it?

Yes, definitely. It's the one we would use 99% of the time. A second DVR would be used so infrequently that it wouldn't be worth it unless it was a lot less expensive.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman /forum/post/0

The latter. In the United States, cable companies will not activate privately-owned STBs. As tluxon mentioned, however, you're better off paying the $11.99 per month, rather than buying a new $500 DVR every couple of years. (That's actually the going price on eBay, where they're sold for the Canadian market -- and that's $500 USD, not CND. They'd probably cost a lot more retail.)

·
Banned
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/0

In the United States, cable companies will not activate privately-owned STBs.

Your statement is not 100% true:

They do activate cable cards, so you can own your STB (like a series 3 TiVo) and have it activated, and pay your STB fee to TiVo instead of the cable company.

(but the cable companies still hit you up with extra fees for the cable cards...)

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Well, while I can believe that my statement might not be 100% true (perhaps closer to 99%), it is true with respect to the TiVo Series 3. (I actually had one for a while.) The cable company does not activate the TiVo Series 3. You can just plug it in and go. No activation is necessary. If you want the program guide to work right, or if you want encrypted channels, you'll need CableCARDs installed into the TiVo Series 3. Again, the cable companies will not activate privately-owned CableCARDs. You'll have to rent them from the cable company.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
TiVo Series 2 and Series 3 DVRs will not work (fully) unless you have paid for service with TiVo.

As I mentioned earlier, you don't have to have Comcast activate your TiVo Series 3, but rather you can just plug it into your Comcast service and it will just work (bring in all the unencrypted channels) without Comcast doing anything extra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Comcast sent a statement in my last bill that laid out the new prices starting Feb '07. HD-DVR service is stated to stay the same at $9.95. I'm in the Boston area though so the rate changes must vary depending on your location.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur /forum/post/0

But you still need to activate the service with Tivo to record/watch the unencrypted channels don't you?

With TiVo, yes; With Comcast, no. Just having Comcast service is sufficient, with regard to the Comcast side of things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now, I thought you COULD purchase your own Motorola DVR and hook it up through your Comcast service. According to the FCC, it is not illegal to own your own STB (read more here: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Cable/New...s/nrcb4009.txt ). I'm researching buying my own through ebay now, seem to be in the $300 range, not $500. I am leery on the problems encountered from my research of these machines online.

BTW, by my Comcast bill, my monthly fee should drop $17 with use of my own box. $11.95 for DVR, $3.00 rental fee (I'm assuming for DVR), and $4.00 digital converter fee (in my digital plus package). Can anyone tell me any differently? $200+ per year for the box is steep, when I can buy one and be even in a year and a half it is tempting.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've never had a Motorola DVR last even a whole year. The last 6412 went 2 months before the FF & RR functions failed, the one before that went 8 months before the remote control functions got so sluggish I had to turn it in and on my first single tuner model the hard drive got really noisy, probably was going to fail soon.

Glad I didn't have to buy all those

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritewinger /forum/post/0

Now, I thought you COULD purchase your own Motorola DVR and hook it up through your Comcast service. According to the FCC, it is not illegal to own your own STB

The Motorola DVRs you're talking about don't have a CableCard slot, which is a requirement of the FCC regulations you referred to. Comcast in the United States will not activate Motorola DCT-series DVRs, nor are they required to do so.

DCH- series DVRs will be available soon, but Motorola isn't selling them to the public, so you could readily find that any you find for sale would be stolen merchandise. However, if there ever are legit DCH-seriec DVRs on the market, you could purchase those, and then try to get them working with a cable-company-provided CableCard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts