AVS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritewinger /forum/post/0

I'm researching buying my own through ebay now, seem to be in the $300 range, not $500. I am leery on the problems encountered from my research of these machines online.

Comcast will not activate the box unless they install it, and from what I hear, those moto boxes on ebay are stolen, so I'm sure comcast also has a list of stolen box serial numbers and will come take it away if you call up and try to activate it, not to mention possible 'Receiving Stolen Goods' charges.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
DCT-series boxes are available for sale in Canada. That's the source for many of the boxes. Here in the US, those boxes are doorstops. If you buy one, be prepared to resell it to someone living in Canada for probably a lot less than what you paid for it, because you'll get no use out of it yourself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses! I'm glad I didn't buy one of these online!!! So I guess the best alternative is the TIVO system? My Panasonic Plasma has cablecard and its own tuners, so I guess I could get a normal TIVO to use simply as a DVR/TVGuide? I would still be paying $12 a month though, minimizing my savings. No wonder TIVO is hurting financially, there seems to be no benefit!!!

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
I think it is pretty much a tie between buying a TiVo Series 3 and renting Comcast's own DVR. Neither is much better than the other.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in Phila. and just hung up with comcast. Sick of prices going up. Here it is $11.95 1st dvr and $16.90 for the 2nd. Comcast said If I purchase my own HD DVR all I have to do is call them so they can activate/tag it, No additional fees. I'm keeping my 1st DVR, but to raise my 2nd 70% is crazy, That's over $200.00 a year. I haven't really looked into purchasing 1 yet except ebay, but reading these post just bummed me out, I figured I could just buy 1 for a few hundred and be done. Comcast's cable and internet are great but I'm sick of calling every few months asking why my bill is going up.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
As a rule, Comcast won't activate private cable boxes in the United States. I'll be that you either got bad information or misunderstood what the agent said.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts