AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have read more than one post by some members saying you were able to get brick & mortar stores in your areas to match the prices of online retailers (Amazon, etc.). How difficult was this to do? Did you have to do a lot of talking? My understanding was that stores like Best Buy and Circuit City wouldn't match the prices of online dealers, only places that had a physical store.

By the way, I am looking at buying either the Sony 60A2000 or 60XBR2 within the next 2-3 weeks (waiting for some good Super Bowl deals). I would like to buy locally if possible, but I would not rule out Amazon or another "reputable" online retailer.

· Registered
4,682 Posts
You might want to read the HDTV shootout in the current issue of Home Theater Magazine. Very informative conclusions for me. Some managers will match or at least be less reluctant to lower their price some in order to get your business. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Use the phone at least.

· Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

Most local stores do NOT match online prices.

Well, I've had BB and Magnolia pretty much offer up a match recently. The way I figure it is to let them know what they are up against and ask if they want my business. The worst they can say is no. I've had stores tell me no on my offer of something and then turn around and go to another one of their stores and have them come through with an even better deal. The secret to negotiating is timing and finding the right person. If a store is having a very sluggish day, they may be a little more enticed to doing some business. Bottom line is, be willing to walk away and have an alternative game plan. You can always go back and pay their price though so nothing ventured nothing gained.

· Registered
207 Posts
Yes. I think there's two levels that you're asking the question, which have different answers.

1) Do B&M stores have a formal policy of price-matching Internet retailers, even if they have a formal price-matching policy for their B&M competitors? And to that question, I think the answer is No.

2) Will some B&M stores negotiate with you, using your Internet option as a basis or leveraging point? And the answer to that is Depends. The best way to increase your odds, I think, is to get a salesperson invested into your sale. Don't just walk in and ask, "I have an offer here for set X from website Y at price Z. Will you match it?" Rather, look around, talk to the salesperson, get them excited and convinced that you're serious and ready to buy. And then once you get to price negotiations you can use the Internet pricing as leverage. Maybe they won't just cold match the Internet pricing (maybe they will) but it's possible that they'll try to give you discounts on other things that you may be looking for. But... it depends on the store. It depends on who you talk to. It depends on what kind of internal push they're having on sales or on that product or line specifically. If you definitely want to buy from a B&M store, it's definitely worth the attempt.

· Registered
16,407 Posts
At every local store, they know exactly how low they can go. So if the onling price is within their range, they'll match it. But if it's lower than their range, they won't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.