AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My builder gave me $2000 allowance for sound proofing. Not counting labor, framing, or the drywall itself is that enough for sound proofing: whisper clips, GG, acoustic caulk, and misc items for ~1900 sqft of drywall?

Also, how hard are whisper clips to install? Is it something a typical construction grade drywall crew can handle? How can you tell if they miss and put a screw into a stud? Is it something I really need to do myself to make sure it gets done right?

I'm trying to determine the best use of money for Pros vs Builder vs DIY for my limited budget.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Interesting questions....hope the experts can help you because I would like to know the answer too!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,566 Posts
What are the dimensions of your room? I think more builders can relate that way. I just worked on a 15x22x8.5 room and an adjacent 7x7 equipment room. Both were soundproofed, Clips and channel ceiling, RSIC clips for top plate of walls. Send Damelon a PM he will probably share his total out of pocket for supplies. Details in Making Bacon thread. Just about any drywall crew with a knowledgeable supervisor can install everything. The clips are easy, use star drive deck screws. If you study all the materials Ted will send you can supervise. I would personally not trust a crew un-supervised unless the lead on the job has experience and you've tested his knowledge.

Keep in mind that you also need to pay attention to holes you cut in the walls and ceiling for lights and boxes, the HVAC system (don't use metal ducts) and adding a beefy door. Have you had those conversations with your builder?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
2000 doesn't seem anywhere near enough. Are you doing 4 walls and a ceiling? How many with clips? Also, if you know it's 1900 sq feet of drywall, you can calculate a lot of these prices yourself. 4x8 sheet of drywall is 32 sq. feet and it takes 2 tubes of green glue. Each sheet for GG coverage therefore is 175/case times 12 tubes per case, which is about 30/sheet. That's approximately $1780 JUST for GG. That doesn't include the clips, drywall and clip screws, or installation. Or finishing.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Hope this helps..........

Currently working with GC to finalized build budget for a 26X18X10 room.........materials only was estimated at $9000 not including rock, insulation or labor!

Materials included: whisper clips 16" on center ie 3 layers of rock, channels, Green Glue, acoustic sealant, 3/8" recycled rubber matting for floor, backer boxes for lighting, putty for outlets, and sound proof door. I believe the door took close to 1/3 the budget........

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Green Glue is $0.53 a square foot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.