AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung LN46A750R1FXZA started turning on and off by itself (plus clicking noise) but no picture. Repair shop stated needs new Printed Circuit Board. Quoted $600+tax ($315 parts, $285 labor). Thoughts on this price quote?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look around a little. Threads like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1223449

and this:
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62360

and here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...;forum-threads

seem to indicate the most common problem is a handful of failed capacitors that any solderer can replace for $5 in parts. Your price seems a little high even for an out of warranty home service call. I'd consider doing yourself (I have my capacitors stocked up for my Samsung!), replacing the board yourself, having a techie friend do it, or complaining to Samsung Executive Relations. Of course, your problem may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the links. Two quick, dumb questions. The repair shop called it a "printed circuit board." In the links, people refer to the "main board," "main power board," etc. Are these all the same thing and are the caps located on this board? Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats1279 /forum/post/18184994

Thanks a bunch for the links. Two quick, dumb questions. The repair shop called it a "printed circuit board." In the links, people refer to the "main board," "main power board," etc. Are these all the same thing and are the caps located on this board? Thanks again.

I don't know about your set specifically. Most sets have several circuit boards in them with specific functions. This seems to be specifically the power supply circuit board, and there are typically input/output boards, main processing boards, inverter boards, etc, which may vary a bit from set to set. Most people also don't know the correct name for any board unless they have a service manual. Some posters seem to prefer changing the whole power supply board, and some prefer to change just the capacitors, but sometimes, neither solves the problem.

If you're not ready to try your own repairs, I think in your case I might try Samsung Executive Relations and complaining, even if you are out of warranty. Otherwise, look for a shop that charges more like $325!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats1279 /forum/post/18183648

Samsung LN46A750R1FXZA started turning on and off by itself (plus clicking noise) but no picture. Repair shop stated needs new Printed Circuit Board. Quoted $600+tax ($315 parts, $285 labor). Thoughts on this price quote?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

New PCB may cost around $150 - $200 (they'll put the 50% margin on that, or even higher...)

Labour of 4 hours (at $75?), or 5 at $60, may be reasonable if they are picking the TV and delivering back.

If you are delivering and collecting the TV, 4 - 5 hours labour is excessive. PCB replacement should not take more than 1 hour top. You could expect to pay 2 hours for labour... that includes fault finding, parts ordering, PCB replacement, testing, adjustments (if any)...

The question is: "Can YOU replace the PCB?" If you can't.... why ask the question in the first place? They'll fix the TV, give you 3, 6 or 12 months warranty on part and their work.... less you know on what goes behind the scene => better for you.

Boky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts