Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok without sounding cheap,

I don't watch a lot of tv, in fact I use my TV to watch dvds

but i like the features the ultimate gives me...I went to Best Buy and they told me that DTV will charge me 5 dollars (on top of my monthly fee for any receiver, and 10 dollars for the UTV

so if I have a 2 room set (one being UTV it should be a total of 15 dollars extra...is that correct?

any help would be appreciated as they are coming tomorrow to hook me up

thx

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats correct, $15 extra on top of your base package. New subscribers must sub to Total Choice for $31.99 as a minimum base package.

If you decide to get a second UTV to replace your regular sat receiver, there will be no additional charge. $10 gets you unlimited UTV's. Directv charges $5 for each additional receiver. Hope this helps!:D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The monthly fee for UTV service is $9.95, no matter how many UTV receivers you activate. DirecTV charges $4.99 per month for each additional box you add, whether it is a UTV or a standard box. So yes, if you keep your standard box and add a UTV, your DTV bill will be $15 more per month than it is currently. If you de-activate your current box and add the UTV, your bill will only go up $10 a month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what if I only had 2 regular receivers in the house...not an UTV....would it then only be 5 dollars extra or would it be 10 dollars because I have 2 receivers?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You would only pay the extra $4.99 a month for the second regular receiver. The first receiver is always covered by your basic subscription package.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
"You would only pay the extra $4.99 a month for the second regular receiver. The first receiver is always covered by your basic subscription package."
ok so in my case I am getting 2 rooms installed, a reg receiver and a utv. if this is the case then my first receiver should be free then I pay for the 9.95 utv...correct?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Something else to keep in mind. While you pay a flat fee for UTV, I believe D* will only allow you to mirror 3 additional receivers @ $4.99 on the same account. So after activating 4 receivers total, you'd need to pay for an additional TC subscription for #5 and so on.

Sean

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CSR
Something else to keep in mind. While you pay a flat fee for UTV, I believe D* will only allow you to mirror 3 additional receivers @ $4.99 on the same account. So after activating 4 receivers total, you'd need to pay for an additional TC subscription for #5 and so on.

Sean
Are you sure about that? I've seen people in these forums with sigs of 6+ receivers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would just like to add that, even if you only use the TV to watch DVD's, the $10/month is well worth the price. I'm assuming, of course, that the DVD's you watch are movies. I like movies myself, but infrequently rent because I don't like the hassle of going to the video store and returning the videos.

Previous to UTV, I had HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc. with my cable, but rarely watched movies because there was never a good movie on when I wanted to watch one. I suppose I could set my VCR to record a movie, but there was always the chance it would conflict with another program I wanted to record, would run out of tape, might record over something else I had on the tape, and so on. There are movies I recorded years ago but never watched because I forgot what was on the tape.

All this changed when I switched to DirecTV and got UTV. It became a dream to look for and record movies I wanted to see without worrying about whether the tape would run out or I would record over something else I had recorded or it would conflict with another recording. And since the movies are always ready for me in My Shows, I never misplace them or forget that I recorded something. There's always a good movie ready to watch any time I want to watch a movie.

Since getting UTV, I have watched more movies in the past month than I can possibly list. If I had to rent all of these movies at the local videostore, I would easily have paid more than the $10/month UTV costs me. I am finally getting value out of the extra money that I'm paying for the HBO and Showtime subscription (actually, I got Showtime free for six months as a holiday promotion).

If you love movies, UTV is the best friend you ever met.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ahve never seen DTV before and look forward to getting home tonight from work, do the movies come in 16:9 format?

I would love to take advantage of my wide screen TV

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
no unless you have a hdtv box........

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chainmon
I ahve never seen DTV before and look forward to getting home tonight from work, do the movies come in 16:9 format? I would love to take advantage of my wide screen TV
Many movies and a few TV shows are in letterbox format. If you set the "picture size" setting on your UTV to 16:9 it will automatically scale shows identified as letterbox to work well with your widescreen TV. Make sure your TV is set to standard or full mode. With high quality programs (such as HBO's Band of Brothers) the 16:9 picture looks really good. This is a often un-mentioned feature of UTV that works well for people with HDTVs.

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
This is a often un-mentioned feature of UTV that works well for people with HDTVs.
I have a Mitsu 46" HD upgradable and I DO NOT like the feature where the UTV box automatically fills the screen. The TV can do the same thing and if I wanted it to expand the picture I would do so on the TV. I have my picture size on the UTV set to 4:3 so it will not do it automatically.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PatGlennon
I have a Mitsu 46" HD upgradable and I DO NOT like the feature where the UTV box automatically fills the screen.
That's why they allow you to confgure it either way. Then everyone is happy:). Also, I'm curious why you wouldn't want to use the feature. I also have a Mits TV (55 in.) and IMHO the UTV does a better job of scaling than the TV does. And if you don't scale the picture you end up with black/grey bars on all 4 sides or black bars on top and bottom with a distorted picture.

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
And if you don't scale the picture you end up with black/grey bars on all 4 sides or black bars on top and bottom with a distorted picture.
I have the picture usually set to standard or stretched (depending on if it is sports or not).

So on a letter boxed program I see only the bars at the top and bottom not on all four sides.

I am still in love with my UTV, just don't like lying to it telling it I have a 4:3 TV - Bill may come and yell at me!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PatGlennon
So on a letter boxed program I see only the bars at the top and bottom not on all four sides.
But your picture is still distorted. Everyone looks short and fat. With the UTV in 16:9 mode, it will expand the picture vertically and everything will be the proper shape and no black bars (or smaller black bars if 2.35). The only problem I have seen is that I believe the UTV expands the picture just a little too much so a very small part of the top and bottom is chopped off. The amount will vary depending on how much overscan you have. With my TV it is bearly noticable. I just wish there were more letterbox programs so I could see them in the proper aspect ratio. My Mits. TV's 4:3 mode is awful so I usually watch my UTV, stuff in standard or stretch mode.

Jay

·
Registered
524 Posts
UTV only scales to 16:9 .... when....

You have the 16:9 screen format selected in settings...

and

the guide is indicated "Letter Box" format from the programmer... as commonly found on Chan 256 TCM and Chan 258 FMC ... otherwise it is left as 4:3 which is what directv transmission format is... 4:3 Interlaced

Of course you will see black bars at top and bottom if the aspect ratio is greater than 16.9 of course..

It's a nice add-in to 16:9 tv's in many cases.. worth a try if you have 16:9 tv.. ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb
UTV only scales to 16:9 .... when....

You have the 16:9 screen format selected in settings...

and

the guide is indicated "Letter Box" format from the programmer...
This is exactly what I stated in my previous post
Quote:
If you set the "picture size" setting on your UTV to 16:9 it will automatically scale shows identified as letterbox ...
Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.