AVS Forum banner

1 - 21 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the Studio 590 is the right choice for me due to the amount of space I need to fill with sound (open floorplan, high ceilings) and price (when they're on sale), but I do worry about a veto from the wife regarding their size and Darth Vader fashion style. Are there any speakers I can reasonably consider for Plan B that might come close in both capacity and price? I already have the Emotiva Airmotive T2+ on my list (feel free to convince me otherwise).

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Klipsch RP-8000F
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE LCR

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
If your price is around $600 a speaker, take a look at the Ascend Acoustics Luna too. They're small.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Ummm, a satellite speaker, with a 4" woofer and low sensitivity simply cannot compete with tower speakers with dual 8" woofers and a horn-loaded compression driver for a Home Theatre installation.
Perspective, people...

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
It seems the Studio 590 is the right choice for me due to the amount of space I need to fill with sound (open floorplan, high ceilings) and price (when they're on sale), but I do worry about a veto from the wife regarding their size and Darth Vader fashion style. Are there any speakers I can reasonably consider for Plan B that might come close in both capacity and price? I already have the Emotiva Airmotive T2+ on my list (feel free to convince me otherwise).
If you don't mind chancing the $75/pr flat return shipping rate, you could try these at $800/pr on sale:

Your wife would undoubtedly love their looks compared to the JBL or Emotiva, it's just a question of your ears also liking them.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
JBL's Stage A190 (currently on sale) is a reasonable alternative to the Studio 590. They both have twin 8" woofers but the A190 has a dome tweeter as opposed to the 590's compression tweeter. The A190 is a little smaller than the 590 and has a full front cloth grille for better WAF than the 590's exposed waveguide. Overall performance should be roughly comparable.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
@Zorba922 , any input on the Stage vs the Studio series from JBL? IIRC, you have them both, or is it the Arena-series you have?

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
@Zorba922 , any input on the Stage vs the Studio series from JBL? IIRC, you have them both, or is it the Arena-series you have?
I started with the Arena 170s as my HT fronts, then got the Studio 570s and moved the 170s to surround duty. The Stage series seems to be an update to the Arenas, wonder if there's any significant performance upgrade.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing stopping you from a vinyl wrap on them...
Trying to vinyl wrap that gaping anus of a horn would, I suspect, go poorly.

Wish I were one of those guys with money to burn - or a YouTube channel to pay for it - and I'd take the cabs to a buddy who owns an auto shop and have them sprayed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So..I have 3 590s for my theater.. Picked them up for $429. I think as log as you have the space like you say.. they are a great deal for the price.. but they are BIG.
I have plenty of space for them, it’s just their appearance is so intimidating (aside from their size). They look like a PA speaker.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
A quick web search for Stage A190 reviews shows that The Absolute Sound concludes its all-around performance makes it a no-brainer of a bargain at msrp when compared with towers from the likes of Emotiva and Elac. Obviously when one of JBL's frequent sales comes around the A190 is an even bigger bargain. This review is worth reading for its description of the A190s characteristics compared with some of its market competitors.

For WAF customization it would be a simple DIY job to apply white vinyl wrap on the A190's flat black sides and replace the black grille cloth with white material.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have plenty of space for them, it’s just their appearance is so intimidating (aside from their size). They look like a PA speaker.
I think they look much better in person than in pics. My wife doesn't mind them at all. I sent her pics before I ordered them and she said they don't look bad.
But she's cool with whatever I do.

For me they aren't big because I had JBL Studio S series towers with a 12" woofer so the 590's replacing those are actually narrower, just a little bit taller and deeper. All in all i'm happy with them.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
I think they look much better in person than in pics. My wife doesn't mind them at all. I sent her pics before I ordered them and she said they don't look bad.
Yep, mine also surprised me here...when she saw the JBL 570s, she didn't say "they don't look bad"---she actually said something like, "wow, those are nice looking speakers!" o_O o_O o_O

1 - 21 of 42 Posts