AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there has not been any official announcement with regards to the price of the Sanyo Z4 but given the precedent set by the previous models, in which the newer models were actually given lower msrp prices than their predecessors what do you expect the price of the Z4 to be? When the Z3 came out it had an msrp $500.00 lower than the Z2 despite the fact that the Z3 had many improvements over the Z2. Do you think that we should expect a similar price drop for the Z4? Or are its improvements over the Z3 greater than the improvements of the Z3 over the Z2?

On that same note, what exactly are the improvements that the D5 panels are supposed to offer?

·
Registered
491 Posts
i wouldnt expect a big price drop. sometimes i think we should just stand back and say... wow, look at what we get for this price. compare that on any basis to lcd tvs.

krlock2

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would expect it to debut at about the same price as the Z3 goes for today, then perhaps we will see a small drop or a rebate added if competitive conditions warrant it later. Manufacturers don't really want to cut prices, usually they are forced to by market forces. This is just based on watching the market for the last couple years, I have no special insight or insider knowledge.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I would expect MSRP to be somewhere between $2500 and $3000 MSRP. Anything less would be surprising, more would be a mistake.

·
Registered
383 Posts
poet I dont think they could sell it for 3000$ Dlps with the same res. and sim. contrast are already going for less than that and after cedia will drop further. z4 will not be more than 2000$. ok maybe $2000.25 jeff

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm hoping the Z4 will be more of an upgrade from the z3 than the z3 was from the z2, but I have to agree that these projectors should stay a bit below whatever the 720p DLPs are. So, I'm guessing the MSRP will be $2200-$2300 with actual prices right at $2K very soon after release.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
jeff, if you think the MSRP on the Z4 will be $2k or less I think you're wrong. I HOPE you're right, but I think you're wrong ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think sanyo (as far as the budget line goes) knows who their target audience is ----the $2000 and under club (same as the panasonic budget line.) With those specs they are still competing against stuff that is already out and just as cheap so to be competetive they must be at least in the ballpark of 2000$ anything over 2400$ and its domed before it even starts.A msrp of 2499$ might fly but Dlp hasnt even showed it cards yet and if the recent prices on the 720p pjs (budget) are any sign and also given the fact that the newer budget 720p dlp chips are even cheaper to manufacture, the 2000$ high contrast 720p dlps are a reality. jeff

p.s. Sanyo might be holding off on official pricing until dlp and the other 3lcd pjs show up at cedia.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I know we aren't supposed to talk about street prices here, but just wanted to point out that people shouldn't compare the MSRP of one product to the street price for another and think that is how they have to compete. This often happens with new products where people are thinking of the street price of a product already on the market and not its MSRP. My guess is that the Z4 will sell for close to the same price that the AE700 sells for now, but I don't know about MSRPs.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Right ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you guys are right that the Z4 will come out at around $2000.00 MSRP because if it is any more I don't think that it will be worth buying over the Z3. As I understand it the D5 panels offer greater contrast, tighter pixel structure and a possibly brighter image. Can anyone confirm these things or add to the list?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avshaman
I hope you guys are right that the Z4 will come out at around $2000.00 MSRP because if it is any more I don't think that it will be worth buying over the Z3. As I understand it the D5 panels offer greater contrast, tighter pixel structure and a possibly brighter image. Can anyone confirm these things or add to the list?
I don't think it is the D5 panels, but I believe somebody mentioned that the Z4 will have 12 bit internal processing, which I think is like the HS51 and can help avoid banding artifacts.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Lumens: 1000 ANSI

Contrast: 5000:1 Double Iris

10 bit converter

D5 Panel - 1280x720 resolution
FWIW, these are the specs from a thread from a couple days ago.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe it will be the d5 panels and I do believe it will be very close to 2000$ but well have to see. I really think its going to very exciting stuff coming out of cedia. Not just the new tech, but the level of competition that is arising between lcd and dlp for the "champ" of budget 720p pj. 1080p will still be a luxury this time around though. Cant wait. jeff

·
Registered
412 Posts
Another note: One Sanyo retailer that just dropped their price on the Z3 told me that their price from Sanyo just dropped, which I think suggests that the Z4 will be priced close to $2k since Sanyo dropped the price on the Z3 considerably lower, etc.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
ohcello,

Please clarify. Was your dealer telling of yet another price drop and thus we'll see even lower prices on the Z3 or was he telling about the price drop of a couple of weeks that's behind the recent low prices of the Z3?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.