AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to work my way up to a 9.2.4 Atmos setup, and was willing to start with a standard 7 or 9 channel setup with all in-walls and add the in-ceilings later. I'm curious what the starting price point (and specific brand options) for quality in-walls for this is. Usually when I google in-walls with enclosure, most results seem to be open-back and "Oh, by the way, there is a box you could maybe add if you felt like it." I want these to include a fully engineered enclosure. For a point of reference, my past setup has been Energy RC-70s with RC-LCRs RC-10s.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Trying to work my way up to a 9.2.4 Atmos setup, and was willing to start with a standard 7 or 9 channel setup with all in-walls and add the in-ceilings later. I'm curious what the starting price point (and specific brand options) for quality in-walls for this is. Usually when I google in-walls with enclosure, most results seem to be open-back and "Oh, by the way, there is a box you could maybe add if you felt like it." I want these to include a fully engineered enclosure. For a point of reference, my past setup has been Energy RC-70s with RC-LCRs RC-10s.

Thanks for your help!
Axiom Audio offers in-walls with enclosure. I have no experience with them but prices start mid $300's/pr and go up to about $700/pr I believe. I have read some reviews that give good marks to them. Recommend asking more about in the official axiom thread.

Beyond that, prices go up pretty quickly on in-walls with engineered enclosures.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using a back box for an in wall speaker. It will perform as good as an enclosed speaker as long as the back box was designed with correct volume for that speaker. You can't use any back box though, You have to make sure the back box was designed for that speakers.

There are many good companies that make in wall enclosed speakers like Triad, Episode (some models), James loud speaker, Kef, etc. There are also many good companies that make engineered back boxes for their speakers and will perform best when using the back box not when installed with out it like Paradigm, B&W, Kef, and Many others.

The bad part about speakers with back boxes is that the back boxes can be difficult to add if this is a retrofit installation. If you have an attic or can get above the ceiling a back box is easy to add later. If you can get above the ceiling adding a back box will usually require some dry wall repair.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question: If I have existing cabinets up front that are solid and well braced, can I install "In Wall" speakers with engineered back boxes into the wooden cabinets? Would that sound better than the solution I have right now which is regular speakers surrounded by cotton insulation, set flush to the cabinet fronts?(see photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
What you did was a good solution if you have to put your speakers in cabinetry. If you use in wall speakers in cabinetry you need to absorb the sound behind them. Depending on the size of the cavity would be how much absorption you need. You most likely do not need to stuff it full for an in wall. I would also call the in wall manufacturer and ask what the ideal volume for their speaker is. The better manufacturers will have that info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts