AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I am looking to buy the Panny300, but I dont have an immediate desire for it (besides an occasional dvd). I am really wanting this for the upcoming football season in 4 months! :)

So my questions is this... has anyone heard of newer Panny models coming out soon that might lower the cost of the L300? Should I wait a few months before buying the L300 in hopes of a price drop? Or is there nothing new coming out in the next couple months so it might be better to buy it now and have some fun with it.

Projections anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
CEDIA is usually in September and new models are often announced there. However, they don't always ship right away, so by that point you might be in the position of waiting again. My gut feeling is that we won't see a replacement for the AE300 until August or September with shipment by November.

I'm still hopeful that ESPN-HD and 3 NFL HD football games each weekend will push some manufacturers to compete hard for that crowd just before the season starts and create some good pricing (not that prices aren't already good).

I have a feeling that if you got one of these you might decide to use it more than occasionally. They can be kind of addicting.

I can't tell you whether you should wait or not, though. Pricing of the different projectors will continue to fall and they tend to fall fast as soon as a new model comes out.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Not sure if my rambling helped. However, just wanted to point out that this is just a guess on my part for an AE400. I would actually give it close to a 50-50 shot of being out in Japan by the beginning of the regular NFL season. Also, other companies will be releasing new products. If Sanyo, Sony, or Epson came out with a new model that could put some pricing pressure on the AE300 or make you decide that you wanted something else. At this point it is all just speculation, though.

I think INFOCOMM in early June is probably the next time that we will hear big announcements.

--Darin

·
Registered
427 Posts
Think price vs. performance in PC's. Note that PJ's are made by many of the same companies as PC's. The sweet spot will always remain relatively constant in dollars, while the performance will continue to get better. It is only a matter of time, and not a long one that the performance of a $4,000 machine today will be under $2000. So where will that leave today's 2,000 dollar machine?

In PC's they eventually quit making the older stuff, as price compression has a floor beyond which it doesn't make sense for anyone to stock and ship such machines.

So you have to figure that the AE-100 will cease production, if it hasn't already with only the units already in the channel still available. That will make the 300 drop close to a grand within a 18 year, replaced by whatever.

You have to think that the problem facing the manufacturers is that people's eyes aren't improving, while their machines gain only marginally with each new generation. If today's 10,000 dollar PJ is visually stunning for 98% of all viewers, what incentive will there be to buy at that same price point three years from now when today's machine's equivalent will be

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by derekvli
Projections anyone?

Thanks
Get it?!:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe, I decided to wait a bit. I probably should spend some money of landscaping the (backyard) dirt first. ya ya, I know.. "where are your priorities man??". :) In a month, it will be revisited and maybe the price might drop.. somehow.. someway.. pleaseeee.. .. but Im not holding my breath.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My "projection" is that projectors are going to become mainstream very soon. Look at how many projector makers don't make RPTV's ie. Epson, who also make the LCD's. My point with the Epson example is that they don't care about eating into RPTV sales because they don't make them, thus a new revenue stream. I've recently seen one (Toshiba) in a local electronics chain flyer.

EDIT: Almost forgot, yeah better and cheaper :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.