AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened across a G1000 and am not sure what a price range it should fit into... I will test it out and see if it is in good condition this week end. It comes with one extra lamp and hard case. I was told it is labeled as refurb but has never been worked on. I think it has 0 hours. I will find out the full details this weekend when I see it in action ( I have allways wanted to see one and here is my chance...)

I will be replacing my new NEC LT154 with this unit. I suppose that it will look better since it has more pixels and perhaps even better colors since I think it uses a different lamp than the LCD unit. The biggest factor is the large following here for the D-ILA.

I really have no idea how to value these. Incidentally it will cost very close to what I paid for the NEC and if it looks better I think I will go for it.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
$3000-$4000 depending on condition.

Also, the G10/G1000 can be inproved more than any projector out there. If you just hook this up to a standard DVD player you will likely be dissappointed. Now hook it to a progresive signal or HTPC and it will sing. Also HDTV is untouchable.

Of course the image can also get way way way better by calibrating the projector. I highly recommend this.

A search here will yeild more info than you can handle

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well Tryg I would have to say that those prices are a little on the high side (happy DILA owner perhaps :)) !!!

I nearly bought a G1000 last year with one university professor owner for about 2300 USD (it was in Germany 0 dead pixels apparently)... This one just went through ebay with an ebay power seller with nearly 1500 resonses and very good feedback for 2325... it had a buy it now button of 2500 and was up there for days even after I posted it on here...

Unless the unit had additional bulbs, a calibration, or you were buying from someone who you personally knew to have babied it... I would say 3k is tops !!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oops! I paid over $4000 for mine, there is no question a G10/G1000 is the best value by far than anything else mentioned on this forum.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Forgot to say in the first message... One thing Tryg touched upon is calibrating this unit... G1000's tend to come with pretty poor out of the box CR's and because of this benefit from calibration most of all... Some people have reported turning CR's of about 150 - 200 up to 700 or more...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If the unit is coming from a home theater enthusiast with calibration, packaging, and zero dead pixel it should fetch about 4k.

Phat,

you got a great price.

At 4k uncalibrated the projector is a steal for the potential it offers over comparable products.

I believe the concept of relative value should weigh significantly in the decision making process.

·
Registered
755 Posts
$4K is a steal for a G11/G10/G1000, considering that the projector is virtually identical to the G15 except the brightness (and even so, a G1000 with a new bulb is brighter than a G15 with an old one).

Used D-ILA's are by far the best value in the projector world! Where else can you get a 3-chip, Xenon lamp 1365x1024 projector for

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My G1000 has held its value well. In contrast, my previous MT1040 depreciated by a factor of 0.7 per year, a lot more than the cost of a bulb.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, my used Sony 1272 gets about 1000 hours per year, and has depreciated about $600 per year (including the tubes). Buying a used G1000 for 1000 hours is really not that bad in comparison; a little more expensive but you get a lot more. Search "Cermax" and "Atlas" here and in www.immersiveforum.com for more details on the Cermax lamps for the D-ILAs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I might as well bring this up now. Recently I won a Dukane 9000 on e-bay for $2000 flat. I was the only bidder. It came in a big steel box with wheels. The bulb timer says 224. Other than the annoyance of no 720p, it is performing mostly as people on this forum have said. So keep an eye out for the Proxima, Panasonic and Dukane versions of the G10, because not everyone knows about them.

Now that I've brought that up, where do I currently go to get the software mod for 720p?

I'm still trying to get a better DVD player before I try the "Video Essentials" disc. What is the highest contrast ratio I can expect using that?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Don, I didn't buy it... Skirted the issue but a departure to SE Asia and my 2 - 3K usage pattern per year meant I missed the deal...

Perhaps my value system is screwy and I should be challenging with Rob for the Sultanate position ;) !! I have seen possibly 5 sub 3k G1000's within the last year... Just knew about a XP21N clone for 2200 delivered... etc etc.

As Richard shows above (ok an ebay gamble perhaps ??) but 2k can even be found !!! There is one on ebay now bidding at 1k but the buy it now is 3.5 so that means nothing... Happy with escrow seller too... My personal G1000 limit would be about 2.5 max for a vanilla to 3k max for a calibrated / spare lamped / etc model...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Used D-ILA's are by far the best value in the projector world! Where else can you get a 3-chip, Xenon lamp 1365x1024 projector for

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Actually it looks like I may have been wrong and the model listed above is a 'true' (if early) DILA not a hybrid...

For a hybrid with 1920x1080 output have a look at this light valve monster however this one is not 'door stop' money so it does not have that same diamond in the rough appeal !!!

Please dont take these posts too seriously but it is worth considering that here is a line of technology that never really cought on but appears to have had a lot of potential...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I've been thinking about a new projector for about a year but the incremental improvement over my G1000 doesn't justify spending an extra $3000-$4000 over its current street price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.