AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, it must be!!! Except if you need the DVI-D or HDCP-capable input. The HS10 has it; the 12HT does not. I would say, the 12HT is superior in virtually all other aspects.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Sushi! How are you?

I am looking for the 12HT too due the price drop here in Europe. Do you know if the DRC technology is compatible for pal DVDs and if the 12HT is brighter than both TW100H and HS10?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi josu,

Here is my previous post regarding the brightness of the 12HT. As usual, Sony's spec (1000 lumen) is a bit overrated, even without the magenta filter installed.

I believe that the DRC-MF is, roughly speaking, Sony's own version of DCDi type of de-interlacing/scaling technology. It cannot think of any reason why Sony, who sells this projector in Europe, would make it incompatible with PAL. But I myself never tested a projector with PAL signal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good Morning!

I am no expert here, but trying to translate a quote from a review by Audiovision's Peter Finzel (probably THE German pj reviewer): The VW12HT does not have a PAL film mode recognition. It seems that only for NTSC material the projector is able to reconstruct a pefectly progressive picture whereas for PAL a proscan source is recommended.

The Panasonic AE300 or the Yamaha LPX-500 seem to be much better in this area.

I hope I will have a chance to see them in the near future and see for myself how much of a difference this makes when watching a DVD.

Bye,

Guenther

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again,

Since I live in Sweden I use PAL so I'm very

interested if the 12HT can deinterlace PAL ??

Please anyone who can confirm this ???

By the way can the HS10 do this ??

Cheers,

imtkjlu

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think no. A menber of this forum said me that both HS10 and VW12HT have not Pal deinterlacer compatibility. Does anyone knows if the AE300 and the LPX-500 are Pal compatible?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by josu
A member of this forum said to me that both HS10 and VW12HT do not have PAL deinterlacer compatibility. ...
I can't speak for the VW12HT, but the HS-10 certainly can deinterlace PAL input.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I stand corrected; I am no PAL expert anyway.

Hmm... Thinking about it, maybe this PAL issue is the very reason for the price drop, which apparently happening only in the PAL parts of the globe!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Sushi,

With a Pal-progresive DVD player, would be this issue solvented? Is this issue so serios for a price drop like this?

I am considering the 12HT but if its deinterlacer is not compatible with Pal I am thinking about buy a Pal compatible progressive DVD player for try to solvent this problem... Would it work like the DRC?

If it would work, I would have only one but big doubt... Would be the deinterlacer of the progressive Pal DVD player as good as the recognized Sonys DRC deinterlacer? I am afraid about lose one of the best features that makes the 12HT so good...:(

I have read that this DRC deinterlacer is one of the best things on this projector and that it makes that this projector is so good(sharp image, no noise, very good scaler...) and I am concerned about thinking that no exists any way to replace its quality with a DVD player...:(

Thanks and sorry for my low english level...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, as long as the DVD player correctly does the pulldown of film-based materials (as well as a nice motion-adaptive deinterlacing of video-based materials) on PAL, the above matter should be a non-issue.

With regard to Sony's DRC-MF itself, I would not be too much worried about it. Judging from the DVD player benchmark articles published by hometheaterhifi.com, the best results seem to be attained almost exclusively with the Faroudja DCDi chips. Since Sony uses basically the same deinterlacing/scaling technology in their DVD players and projectors, this seems to me an indication that Sony's onboard deinterlacer is not nearly as good as those that use the Faroudja chips.

At any rate, as long as the DVD player has a decent deinterlacer, it is almost always better to do the deinterlacing in the DVD player than let the projector handle the burden. This is because the DVD player can do the deinterlacing entirely within the digital domain, before the image information is converted to the analog RGB or component signals. In contrast, the projector's onboard deinterlacer has to start with the image info that has already gone through one round of D/A and A/D conversion, which may inevitably introduce some inpurity.

Oh, btw, your English language is, at the very least, no worse than mine!!! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi all,

I can provide some more second hand information on these projectors from reviews by the aforementioned German projector guru Peter Finzel:

He directly compared the VW12HT with the Yamaha LPX-500. As far as I remember the most significant difference was the abilty of the Yamaha to perfectly deinterlace PAL film sources whereas the VW12HT does not have this ability. This confirms Sushi's comment that Faroudja is much better here than the Sony DRC and it really might be the reason for the VW12HT price drop in PAL countries.

In this regard the Yamaha is also better than the Epson TW100 which is mechanically alsmost identical to the Yamaha (regarding panels and optics) but only the Yamaha can apply Faroudja deinterlacing when fed with SCART RGB signals (very common in Europe).

And yes, a proscan DVD player could completely solve this problem - it even should have some advantages here like using the progressive flag on the DVD which cannot be used by the PJ. But I think PAL progressive players are rare at the moment - and of course you would have to make sure that the DVD Player deinterlacer is up to the task.

The AE300 also has a working PAL film mode recognition but in the review it showed some problems with certain problematic scenes from Gladiator e.g..

But as stated in the reviews the VW12HT also has its advantages: best resolution and seemingly less FPN than the Epson panels (used by AE300, TW100 and LPX-500).

Bye,

Guenther

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can confirm, first hand, that the TW100 handles PAL film-material perfectly. I have also heard that it accepts RGBS (SCART RGB with composite sync) but with scaling and DCDi disabled (compared to the LPX-500). But I havn't tested that my self yet so I cant confirm it first hand...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
tdsandme: This confirms Sushi's comment that Faroudja is much better here than the Sony DRC and it really might be the reason for the VW12HT price drop in PAL countries.
I seriously interessted in the VW12, and talked to a german dealer. He said that Sony Germany has informed him that the VW12 will very soon be replaced by a new model. He also stated that a lot of dealers currently offering the VW12 will have difficulties to really deliver this unit.

That would make sense to me, because it's not new that DRC can't handle PAL filmmodes properly. But for the current price level this is more than acceptable for me. A good PAL Progressive DVD player will fix this.

Regards HCEnthusiast

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tdsandme
Good Morning!

I am no expert here, but trying to translate a quote from a review by Audiovision's Peter Finzel (probably THE German pj reviewer): The VW12HT does not have a PAL film mode recognition. It seems that only for NTSC material the projector is able to reconstruct a pefectly progressive picture whereas for PAL a proscan source is recommended.

The Panasonic AE300 or the Yamaha LPX-500 seem to be much better in this area.

I hope I will have a chance to see them in the near future and see for myself how much of a difference this makes when watching a DVD.

Bye,

Guenther
I am totally confused about this aspect... I heard from Sony that the 12HT is perfectly capable for to create and work with 480i Pal and 480p Progressive Pal. It only happens that the internal DRC technology for image enhacement is not compatible with Pal sources, only for NTSC. It seems that the DRC is not the deinterlacer... it is only an enhacement sistem of the early deinterlaced image. If this is true, I think that the 12HT would have to work as good as other projectors like AE300, HS10, PLV-70 ... because these other proyectors not have any DRC or similar image enhacement sistem, either. I seems that the 12HT is able to construct Pal Progresive like the others all proyectors. It only would happen that its "especial" DRC sistem for image enhacement is not compatible with Pal, but the mayority of projectors not have either any "especial" sistem for early deinterlaced image enhacement and they look quite good... I think that the 12HT Pal Progressive image would have to be as good as these other projectors. Am I wrong? Can anyone confirm this aspect with total sure, please??

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, josu,

I would say that the information Sony gave you is a little misleading.

Of course the VW12HT is able to deinterlace PAL interlaced sources - all digital projectors display progressively, so if they were not able to deinterlace the source, you could not use them at all with interlaced sources.

But deinterlacing will introduce artifacts in the picture if not done properly - just look at the picture that superboss posted. (maybe he can translate a little from the test the picture belongs to?)

For more info read:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

So I am German and I know how to play basketball - there should not be much of a difference between me and Dirk Nowitzki.

That about sums up Sony's statement.

All the tests say that the LPX-500 and the AE300 do a much better job as they are able to use the correct interlacing method on PAL sources - it makes a difference if the source is TV material or a movie -, whereas he VW12HT is not.

Even Sony realised this omission lately and the Sony HS10 has this PAL filmode recognition (see joebwans post here), but Peter Finzel says that it is not as good as the LPX-500.

Bye,

Guenther

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry but my english is not very good... I understood that the 12HT is able to deinterlace Pal interlaced signals like other projectors but that its work is not as good as these other proyectors. Am I right?

My concern is that I have a "normal" no progressive DVD player and I would like to know if I could choose make the scaler work on the DVD player or on the 12HT... Would it be possible? In which would be the interlaced image better?

I have another question... Which is the reason of that all proyectors have deinterlacer when generally this is not used by the people because any medium level DVD player can do a better work than this? I do not understand this aspect very well...

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.