AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're at a bit of a final step here. My dad has custom designed a media room for our house. Its finished. The last step (and one that probably should have been done first, I know) is Acoustic treatment.

the room has a bar on one side, and windows and a fireplace on the other. Its also a large room. I don't know anything about acoustic treatment. He only knows from what home theatre guys have told him when he went to get quotes. Some of them told him to just pick up the material and put it on the walls all around the room. I think this is a mistake (and I'm pretty sure most on this forum would agree)

He also got a few local quotes in the range of 60k for the whole job. He'd like to find a much more conservative alternative. He has guys that can put it together and do the install, but we're unsure of what to do and where to place it.

What should it cost to reasonably treat the room? It's main purpose was entertaining people at the bar, television, and of course movies too. Enclosed is a picture of the room during construction... it's done now. Will post a few more pics later today, gotta go snap some.

After skimming the Acoustic Treatment master thread, a main concern of mine is that due to the odd shape and characteristics of this room, most general information can't be applied (as neither first reflection points are available at all for paneling)

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Hiring a professional means paying for their time at professional rates - which can range from what a cheap bookeeper makes up to what a highly qualified CPA makes or if they are really good snazzy dressing lawyer type fees.

You can hire Dennis (our mod) who will spend several days creating detailed contractor plans that involve ripping out all that reflective wood for a complete teardown and he will charge you accordingly (much less than local HT companies that want to build the room).

You can hire Terry Montlick or Rives Audio who would be more willing to spend a day planning to make the room sound better.

You can get "free" advice from many of the acoustic treatment advertisers here.

You can hire someone for an afternoon from the Home Acoustics Alliance ( www.homeacoustics.net ) to do what is called an Acoustic Design Review (ADR) to find those design elements you need to fix in your room amd work on solutions that you are willing to fix to make it at least better - with the understanding it is more mediaroom than dedicated HT.

You can hire a local CEDIA member that has a certified Designer on staff and see if they will take pity on you and do advice only.

You can hire a local wire puller that sees pictures of HTs with stuff on the walls - and will tell you to do stuff - but they don't do that stuff.

You can hire your local retailer who will say you need a power conditioner, some spendy cables, and a performance guarantee which will make the room sound great at least until it is time to buy the extended performance guarantee.

All of the above will result in variant quality of results and empty your wallet more or less.

"The last step (and one that probably should have been done first, I know) is Acoustic treatment"

What you will learn is there is a lot more to HT than nice wood working - which if you treat it right - you will not see much of anymore. So in the end it will come down to - how much do you want to admire you and your dads craftsmanship vs. having great sound.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys! I'm going to contact a few of these guys and see what they think. I'm hoping I can convince dad that since there is little he's willing to do, he has to do what he does correctly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not chosen one yet. I am going to work on this more this week - its been a hectic month.

I'll update the post when I've chosen a path.

Thanks for everyone's time!!!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucku /forum/post/0

Some of them told him to just pick up the material and put it on the walls all around the room. I think this is a mistake (and I'm pretty sure most on this forum would agree)

Right, big mistake. Effective acoustic treatment is not random materials placed randomly on the walls.

Quote:
What should it cost to reasonably treat the room?

A lot less than $60k!

Kal already gave you good advice and links to reputable treatment companies. The advantage of buying treatment from a knowledgeable vendor is the "consulting" and advice is generally free with the purchase.

--Ethan

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have spoken via email to Rives and Terry Montlick and a few others. I am really can not decide between the two, both seem very good.

I am leaning towards Terry Montlick as I like the idea that he takes readings of the room first, which Rives doesn't.

Michael

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've come back to this, I'm going to post 1 more pic of the room and I've started contacting many of the suggested companies in this thread. I had a friend/recording sound engineer with some experience come look at the room and he made some very different suggestions than what others have said/what i've seen in other home theaters.

Pretty confused at this point. He felt the room only needed minimal treatment.

1. a bass trap behind the couch

2. a few panels on the sides and above a few windows/doors

3. a flutter free behind our heads.

Maybe home studio recording is different?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucku /forum/post/11740495

Maybe home studio recording is different?

Yes, it is. For music recording, the room is an integral part of the sound. You want the effects of the room to be audible, and to enhance the music (which varies with type -- for Bach organ music, best to record in a cathedral!).

A home theater should, on the other hand, be relatively dead and acoustically neutral. This allows virtually all of the "room sound" to be transmitted faithfully from the multiple channels to your ears.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I am going to use Terry Montlick for my room.

I am waiting to put a set of doors in first, and then will hire him to make the best of my family room, 2 channel, home theater room.

Michael

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I've been following this thread, as I will one day, probably within a year or so (once my wife and I get over the financial shock of moving into our new home with the new theater room), want to acoustically treat my existing room.

My only question is, do companies like Rives and Terry Montlick, realtraps, sensible solutions, etc., just give advice and drawings, or will they also do the install of materials?

I really want one company that will do it all --- give advice, provide the materials, and put them in place. Do any of these companies do that?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 /forum/post/11743233

My only question is, do companies like Rives and Terry Montlick, realtraps, sensible solutions, etc., just give advice and drawings, or will they also do the install of materials?

I can only speak for my company. We don't do installation, but can often recommend someone local for this.

- Terry

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Quote:

I've been following this thread, as I will one day, probably within a year or so (once my wife and I get over the financial shock of moving into our new home with the new theater room), want to acoustically treat my existing room.

I really want one company that will do it all --- give advice, provide the materials, and put them in place. Do any of these companies do that?

Rives doesn't either. However, the Rives design uses readily available materials, common construction techniques and reasonably easy to follow blueprints. I chose them for the level 3 room design and chose a local contractor who had built a home theater for a fellow AVSer who had a Dennis Erskine design.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:

Do any of these companies do that?

We don't usually install either because it's not cost effective. A handy-man type will cost a hundred bucks or so, versus a lot more for someone to fly or drive to you. But we do everything else, and if you're really not up for any sort of installation you can just get stands for the traps and panels.

--Ethan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts